There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Users and Abusers

Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Esthetician in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Started at full time at asking pay, provided list of previous clients to draw current clients, provided business cards. Allowed to place order for what Esthetics supplies were needed.

Cons

To say that I walked into my employment as the sole Esthetician of the Ulta Salon (Tukwila,WA) with an open mind, would be an understatement. I stepped into the role three months after graduating from Esthetics school and I was grateful for the opportunity. In the three weeks I worked at Tukwila Ulta, I received little to no guidance on signature facial treatments, and I received no new product to supplement the spa. Despite these deficiencies, I was required to perform Esthetics services with neither company knowledge or proper supplies. I adapted with what was available. To my knowledge, I was responsible for bringing in an average of $200 worth of services per working day.

At the end of my first three weeks working for the company, I was abruptly fired with management citing as the reasons for my termination that I had offered free services and had received multiple client complaints. I was surprised because of course I hadn't offered any free services and had never been told about any client complaints, if in fact these complaints existed at all. When I asked for information as to the nature of the client complaints, I was told that the management was not allowed to give me that information. I was also informed that I was being fired because I had worn my hair in a ponytail even though I supposedly had been warned by several managers not to. No such conversations had ever taken place. I was amazed and horrified that the management would actually tell such a blatant lie in order to have the excuse to fire me. I am still not sure why I was really fired.

Be honest with employees, provide proper training, and provide proper supplies.

778 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

Current employee treated unfairly. Carrollton, TX

Current Employee - Hairstylist in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Hairstylist in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to interact with guests! The training they provide is exceptional! The discount is great, if you love makeup! The atmosphere is great and so are some of the people I work with.

Cons

Hours, unrealistic goals, dishonesty, unfairness, broken promises. No matter how efficient you are in your work and you always keep busy, the managers are never satisfied. Favoritism is a big factor and that's an understatement. Forget about talking to management about problems because they don't care and they are quick to make up things that you do wrong and when you call them on it, they all of a sudden have to take a call. I am not one to complain, but I mean if you only knew what I was talking about you would understand. Get on the managers bad side and they decide to take you out of training classes unknowingly and then call you at the last minute to let you know. Oh, and if your good at what you do, they cut your hours and throw you under the bus, just to take all the clients. The level of greed in the salon is outrageous. We are suppose to be a team, what happened to all the things they say in meetings about being a team? Apparently, management believes that there is an "I" in team.

Not that you care to read this and actually take it into consideration, I take pride in my work. I have over 8 years of experience doing what I do, including customer service and to be treated the way I do is not only sexist, but wrong in many ways that can be taken to the FTC and BBB. I have been taken out of training classes while others took training and I have still not received it. There are many problems with the management in this location, particulary in salon management. It doesn't have to be this way if you only, I mean really, cared about your employees.

Micro Managing Company From The Top Down

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, Trendy work environment

Cons

Very unrealistic sales goals. Terrible DM and GM relationship. Turnover was Terrible bc hours where scarce, benefits were expensive, and good help was hard to find when having to put up with all the micro managing that went on. Salon managers had to do HOURS of ridiculous paper work, along with run the salon and sales floor. I do not recommend this company
    They have A LOT of growing to do...

Talk to the sales teams , not your gms... They are the people who can tell you the real issues at hand in your locations.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty