Ulta Beauty

www.ulta.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

If the shareholders knew..........

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* 401K package
* Medical benefits if needed
* Vendor support from great companies
* If you are a "yes" man, opportunity for advancement
* Currently fastest growing leader in the Beauty Industry
* Good employees who really want to make a difference.

Cons

* No work / life balance...you either work or you don't.
* Recruiters are not honest about what the job entails
* Culture is about power and money...Employees work in a culture of fear and demoralization.
* No training
* Company says guest focus is first and then gives store 10 hours for 24 hours of tasking. It can not be done.
* Hard working associates are leaving every day because of above and executives do not care. Therefore, the training that does get squeezed in is lost. No one gets that it costs more to find an employee than to keep one.
* HR is non-existant.
* Many stores are so old equipment does not work and cannot be replaced. GM is held accountable even if nothing can be done to fix the issue. DM pretends they don't know when they do, and RVP tells you how they would do it, even though they have no idea what the GM is going through to try and get things fixed. Chaos.

People will work just as hard, if not harder under leadership that is supportive and understanding. Fear of losing one's job has no place in any culture. Training is a huge disconnect, so give some money for it. Hold your leadership accountable for the high turnover. Ask them "Why?" Give exit interviews.

974 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

What a waste of time!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun working atmosphere (on the rare occasion you get to work) - opportunity to learn more about the products) - clean, bright atmosphere

Cons

Hired twice as many employees than they needed when store opened 2 months ago. Got plenty of hours during set up and Grand Opening then virtually nothing since. We were led to believe that a "part-time job" would be 15-20 hours a week now, if you're lucky you'll get 4 hours a week and many weeks NO hours at all. Store managers say that upper mgmt. is making them "cut hours" and they don't have any budgets to work anyone. I've been the only employee in the retail part of the store and have been sent home to have the managers do all the work including cashiering. Most of the shifts for Black Friday were cancelled and I have had ZERO hours during the Christmas rush ... sure can't expect any after the holidays, either. I have to go through the humiliation of calling in every Friday and being told I'm not scheduled for the next week. I really love this store and just want to go into work and help make it a success but I feel like I'm being treated like dirt and strung along. This is the unprofessional outfit I've ever experienced!

DON'T OVER-HIRE!! If you are going to consider someone an employee give them some work. Have schedules ready earlier than 2 days before the work week.

Don't see much progress

Current Employee - Cashier in Seal Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seal Beach, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is around 25%, flexible schedule for the most part, some cool new up and coming brands like napoleon perdis.

Cons

Cut hours, low wage, no gratis, rude customers at times who will blame you for the crappy coupons they send out, management is rude and talks about employees /customers behind their backs, unfulfilled promises from management to give more hours, schedule for the following work week doesn't come out until Friday or even SATURDAY!, understaffing, no time to actually work on improving your salesmanship.

The management called a meeting on Saturday morning to discuss the new holiday schedule. When there the manager told everyone that store hours would be extended for the Xmas season and we all should expect to see an increase in our hours. It's been about 4 weeks since that meeting and not only have my hours been cut drastically but they have also called me a couple times not to come in for my scheduled work hours. Translation, we don't have any hours to give to anyone expect our 6 managers! I mean I honestly rue the fact that you wasted my Saturday just to lie to my face about hours. It's also not just me, I look at the schedule every week and there are others who's hours consist of 0.

Try not to over hire strait out of the gate and maybe your employees won't be so dissatisfied with the low or no hours. Hire less managers, managers get a minimum of 40 hours/week and with 6 managers there is no hours for any other employees. Don't put up another Ulta Beauty less than 5 miles away from each other, how are you expecting to get any good business or traffic? Bad business and bad marketing.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty