There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

What a waste of time!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun working atmosphere (on the rare occasion you get to work) - opportunity to learn more about the products) - clean, bright atmosphere

Cons

Hired twice as many employees than they needed when store opened 2 months ago. Got plenty of hours during set up and Grand Opening then virtually nothing since. We were led to believe that a "part-time job" would be 15-20 hours a week now, if you're lucky you'll get 4 hours a week and many weeks NO hours at all. Store managers say that upper mgmt. is making them "cut hours" and they don't have any budgets to work anyone. I've been the only employee in the retail part of the store and have been sent home to have the managers do all the work including cashiering. Most of the shifts for Black Friday were cancelled and I have had ZERO hours during the Christmas rush ... sure can't expect any after the holidays, either. I have to go through the humiliation of calling in every Friday and being told I'm not scheduled for the next week. I really love this store and just want to go into work and help make it a success but I feel like I'm being treated like dirt and strung along. This is the unprofessional outfit I've ever experienced!

Advice to Management

DON'T OVER-HIRE!! If you are going to consider someone an employee give them some work. Have schedules ready earlier than 2 days before the work week.

reviews filtered by

Unorganized and unprofessional

Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Good discount and some friendly coworkers. Most customers were courteous and thankful for extra discounts given at cash wrap.

Cons

No hours were given (often 4-6 hrs/week), managers seemed resentful when cashiers needed to call them for returns or to get into the register. Overall, everyone acted very unprofessionally. Also, training was both minimal and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

If you call or go into your stores every once in awhile you can see how terribly they are being run. It often takes a minute or more to reach someone on the phone because cashiers are often too busy and there is only one phone for the 5+ registers.

Horrible management!

Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-25% off Retail Discount
    -50% off Salon Services
    -Relaxed Enviornment

Cons

Communication is horrible! At least at the Ulta I worked, they would send employees home early to save money, and if you don't live very close by it ends up being a waste of gas coming in! On more than one occasion I came in only to find out they cut me out for the day without even calling. Waste of time and gas, plus I canceled plans in order to go to work that wasn't even there for me. They take forever to set up the weekly schedule too and definitely only give out hours to their favorites. There was barely any training, but if you know a lot about make up you'll glide right in. The customers aren't too bad, and the environment is pretty relaxed. I would've stayed longer if it weren't for the terrible management and the lack of hours they give. It was weird that employees were complaining about not having adequate hours, yet they were interviewing for seasonal positions??

Advice to Management

Be more communicative and actually put up the schedule when you say the schedule will be up.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty