There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

They led me on to believe they were a great company to work for.

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-A good discount.
-Free haircut with employment.
-Good discount on salon services.
-Customers are friendly.

Cons

-Employees are incredibly stuck up regardless of what they try to tell you beforehand.
-Management treats you like crap.
-Pay is low.

Maybe I wasn't there long enough, but they barely gave me a chance to even show what kind of employee I am. I worked there for a few weeks and I really enjoyed it. Management always talked down to me, but I looked past it, trying to prove to them that I was great with sales and interacting with customers. Before I knew it though, I had zero hours for three weeks straight. That's when I stopped embarrassing myself by showing up and calling to check the schedule. I tried to stay with them and push through but in the end, I couldn't take the disrespectful treatment I was receiving.

Treat your employees like decent human beings.

reviews filtered by
  1. It's what you make it.

Current Employee - Stylist in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Stylist in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management team at my store is the best group of girls, they care about their employees from what I see. The hours as a stylist are what you make them, it takes a while to understand but its ultimately up to you to build clientele and convert clients, even then I'm thankful for all my managers who have converted for us and helped us build our books. The specials seem like a waste of time at first but its what gets your clientele started. I love all my coworkers, good gratis, great GM. Its a fun atmosphere here in El Paso, no ones ever acted like they're better than anyone else.

Cons

Commission is not the best but better than hourly.

Cleaning bathrooms is not ideal but part of life, we all have to do it.

Late salon hours.

Thanks to my management teams that never makes me feel like its a chore to come to work.

If the shareholders knew..........

Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* 401K package
    * Medical benefits if needed
    * Vendor support from great companies
    * If you are a "yes" man, opportunity for advancement
    * Currently fastest growing leader in the Beauty Industry
    * Good employees who really want to make a difference.

Cons

* No work / life balance...you either work or you don't.
    * Recruiters are not honest about what the job entails
    * Culture is about power and money...Employees work in a culture of fear and demoralization.
    * No training
    * Company says guest focus is first and then gives store 10 hours for 24 hours of tasking. It can not be done.
    * Hard working associates are leaving every day because of above and executives do not care. Therefore, the training that does get squeezed in is lost. No one gets that it costs more to find an employee than to keep one.
    * HR is non-existant.
    * Many stores are so old equipment does not work and cannot be replaced. GM is held accountable even if nothing can be done to fix the issue. DM pretends they don't know when they do, and RVP tells you how they would do it, even though they have no idea what the GM is going through to try and get things fixed. Chaos.

People will work just as hard, if not harder under leadership that is supportive and understanding. Fear of losing one's job has no place in any culture. Training is a huge disconnect, so give some money for it. Hold your leadership accountable for the high turnover. Ask them "Why?" Give exit interviews.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty