Ulta Beauty

www.ulta.com

overall a little disappointed

Former Employee - Task Team Member  in  Turlock, CA
Former Employee - Task Team Member in Turlock, CA

Pros

discount, and if you really enjoy the beauty field, your surrounded by it.

Cons

-unprofessional team members
- little hours
-low pay

I would say this is a good place for a part time job, maybe a first job. I feel like maybe there should be more classes on professionalism in the work place

Other reviews for Ulta Beauty

Typical Retailer, but Better than Most

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good Employee Discount, decent management pay, vacation time starts accruing right away. Good advancement for hard workers.

Cons

Placing a retail business model on a service industry (salon), unreasonable labor cutbacks at busy times, unreasonable sales goals, atmosphere of hostility from corporate level down. Poor health insurance for full-timers who are not management or higher-level stylists. Company thinks they own you, wanting you available all the time - not good for a hairdresser whose customers need them to be there on a regular schedule.

Too many sales and specials for the salon. You're not getting long-term customers or employees by creating a bargain-hunter's paradise. Tiered pricing makes clients an Ulta client with no loyalty to the stylist - which may seem to be in your best interests, but what happens when a local competitor offers a better sale? As a former salon owner, I can tell you that you want loyal, long-term guests, not coupon-hunting cheapskates. Your stylists will leave and you'll be forever offering a discount - we've had former guests call to see what the sale is, and if they don't think it's good enough, they won't come. In addition, how do you expect the salon to take walk-ins when you send everyone who's not booked home? 110 hours a week allocated to a new store is too few if the manager has to be on 40 hours and the salon needs to have an extra body for walk-ins for shifts that span 7 days a week. You set the goals so high that a salon mgr can't bonus. Base the bonus on comp - I brought my salon up over 30% in one year, but couldn't bonus because you brought the goal that high! What business has that kind of regular growth?? The corporate attitude of "guilty until proven innocent" combined with lots of screaming is covered by a Disney-esque veneer - everything is "Fabulous!" It's not "fabulous" when a manager is never sure of what they can and can't do. The rules change on a dime, and then you get screamed at when you have given "incorrect" information to your staff. I live in fear of the District Manager. Does she scream because you're screaming at her??

Disrespect at Every Turn

Current Employee - Truck  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Truck in Norman, OK

Pros

Love seeing new product before other people get a chance! It definitely gives me some time for pre-shopping.
    We're encouraged to use fragrance testers throughout work, so I always go home smelling nice and fresh!
    If you are scheduled to work at open, you can come early and use testers to apply your makeup. Maybe not the most sanitary, but it helps you familiarize yourself with the product you're selling others.
    A lot of young, friendly staff.

Cons

Incredibly incompetent management. Had a manager who loved to leave passive aggressive notes everywhere instead of taking up the issue with people herself. Would post online reviews of the site on the board in the break room and when someone would criticize her, she'd make sure to defend herself.
    There is absolutely no training whatsoever! I've been called to the register multiple times when the line is too long and I have to tell the manager sorry, but I haven't been trained on that yet. They just walk away and find someone else. Nobody finds it necessary to educate you on products, either, so when people have questions (What is a BB cream? Why should I use a toner?) you will get completely different responses, and often times they'll be completely wrong.
    Upper management is cutting hours in all stores! Often times there will only be one cashier on shift, along with one, maybe two? Prestige team members! I was originally getting 20+ hours a week when I started working, but as of recently, I'm lucky if I can pull together 8 on a paycheck! However, the 6+ managers per store will definitely make sure that their full 40 hours are taken care of.
    I was under the hopeful impression that maybe by working at a beauty store, I might get some product out of it. Maybe manufacturers would send us free samples or.. something! It's not really unheard of. I've seen people in Prestige go home with $50 Bare Minerals palettes, but I haven't seen anyone else receive the same treatment. I've actually been told to throw out over $1,000 worth of unopened product because they were being replaced with new things. They weren't offered to anybody at all.
    A personal anecdote that appropriately sums up my whole experience: For our Christmas presents, we were given a little goodie bag! I was super excited.. until I opened it. They gave me used testers for Christmas. Cream blushes that looked melted, face powder 4 shades darker than anyone even working in the store, a half empty eye shadow trio, a couple old GWPs and about 3/4s a bottle of what I can only politely describe as "granny perfume." It's the thought that counts.. but in this case, the thought was "I don't really care about you, take this off my hands."
    I've been discouraged from facing product (making everything nice and neat, lining product up with SKUs, etc.) and told to "hurry up and just get it out." Never before this job have I ever actually been told that making the store nice and neat should not be at a top priority. We actually have a note in the warehouse telling us about how "sloppy" our front facings are and that we need to clean them up a bit! (Written by the same manager who told me that as long as product is on the floor, people will buy it, so it doesn't need to be clean....)

You can't expect to cut your worker's hours, increase the workload, and still expect the same output. All that is happening is that workers are realizing that there is no room for improvement, and that Ulta would rather hire an outside worker rather than promote from within. This creates an environment where you do not feel welcomed at work. Look at your turnover rate, obviously something is amiss!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!