There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

unprofessional

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

discount
pay
busy location
nice customers
Honestly there wasn't many pros , I was constantly being threatening that my sales weren't high enough even though i was always over goal

Cons

management was UNPROFESSIONAL
HORRIBLE GOSSIP
I called in sick on day and was given so much stress about it
they didn't work with my schedule
too much pressure
stock was horrible

Please choose your management better, I walked in on the GM and PM calling the salon manager white trash.

772 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

Don't sell yourself short

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is hard to let go of once you leave;
    Full (and quite decent) benefits for all employees, which is rare, especially in retail.
    Flexible availability options.
    Employee perks used to be better until Mr. Rubin stepped in.

Cons

Ulta is pretty horribly mismanaged. Too many managers that can retaliate against you by cutting your hours, and there's really nothing you can do about it, as you have extremely limited interaction with your district manager. Plus, you won't get your schedule until Friday or Saturday morning, so good luck making any plans for the week-- but what does management care? They know their schedules weeks in advance.

Employees do not make commission, but for some reason, everyone's highly competitive-- probably because they're so miserable. Have fun trying to get someone to switch a three hour shift with you or to help you organize the trash. You're on your own.

No cleaning crew. Spill a nail polish? On your hands and knees with the 100% Acetone while customers complain about the smell. If there's no acetone, well, my dear, it's your lucky day trying to figure out if ammonia and bleach will help. Watch out for the glass, too. Super glamorous, aren't you glad you work in cosmetics?

Working truck is easy money, as the store is closed, but be prepared to be the bottom of the barrel at your store. Task are the hardest working, yet lowest paid employees in the store, working until two in the morning, then coming back at 10 am the next day. It's probably not worth your time.

Got a promotion? Great, here's a ton more responsibility, and to compensate: a nickel-- or, if you're really lucky, no raise at all because of corporate red tape. There are employees who have been working at Ulta for close to a decade still making under $10/hr. That is criminal. We used to get to complain about these things to the corporate level through the yearly employee survey-- however, once again, thank you, Mr. Rubin, for stepping on our necks to get to a nice stock price.

General managers, you generally do your job very well and are chosen because you can be impartial and responsible-- please teach your lower management the same level of appropriateness.

Not a good place to work at all.

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Katy, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free product (sometimes)
    Good knowledge of makeup that works best for you

Cons

They give out old makeup testers as "gratis" when it should be thrown away, whenever someone does a job very well
    If you are harassed by another employee, lawyer up. Do not notify their HR department because your claim will go unnoticed and you will be just short of fired for being a whistle blower.
    Be prepared to work with people who do not like their jobs, including your managers, which will affect your job immensely.
    District managers are either really great or really terrible to work with, so hope you get a good one!

Your company makes billions in profits every year but you give out trash as 'gratis' to your employees, half of whom are on some sort of government assistance. If you want to have a successful company, stop using taxpayers dollars to fill in the gaps of your workers salaries.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty