This is a great place to learn about the retail business

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Bolingbrook, IL
Current Employee - IT Specialist in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really learned a lot and my coworkers became like a second family.

Cons

No career growth and development. They do no career development at all.

Create some kind of career path.

Other Reviews for Ulta Beauty

Hairdresser beware!

Former Employee - Stylist  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Close to my house and I knew my co-workers.

Cons

Never stocked on any products to use in the salon or to sell in the store; training was a joke because the company would send a video & "certify" you after watching it; stylists moving appointments from scheduled stylist to their books; lying to clients about they employment of stylists to gain more money; and never scheduled for more than 10 hours a week.

Upper management needs to realize that if you're going to have a salon in the store, you will need to offer more hours to the stylists to gain a clientele. Having a salon manager worked 40+ hours a week with the rest of the stylists fighting for 20 hours is unrealistic. Also, how do you expect services to performed on clients if you do not have the products in the salon because "you didn't reach budget."

Salon professionals run!

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can build a clientele quickly and make decent commission and good tips in the right store.

Cons

Company does not understand the hair business and tries to impose a retail model on the salon. They treat all their employees like thieves (must be searched on camera by a manager every time you leave store, even if you're just running to your car), stylists are responsible for the maintenance (organizing, dusting, fielding customers, etc) of a giant professional hair retail section, yet can only use Redken products, the vast majority of Ulta salons do not have receptionists so stylists constantly have to interrupt services on paying clients to field phone calls, walk-ins and retail customer questions. Furthermore, I have never been so micro-managed in a job position in my entire professional life of 25-years! Every department manager polices you and your staff to make sure you're performing the daily duties, wearing proper dress code, and enforcing all the other piddly routine rules and regulations. Ulta has everything mapped out with all these rules and 'career paths' so that their is no room for originality or inventiveness. They do not want leaders. They want followers who will swallow their Kool-Aid and dose it it out to others. Oh yeah. Also, salon employees are responsible for cleaning the nasty public restrooms every day. That's why you went to beauty school for a year and spent $15000+, right!?! To live the dream of scrubbing a public toilet after standing behind a chair on your feet all day and giving Ulta 50%-60% of your earnings in commission!

Move salons back out from under the stores' general managers and have them managed independently of the retail side with upper-management (i.e. district/regional managers) that are exclusive to the salon. In other words the people managing the salon section from the top down need to be licensed salon professionals themselves. The store manager and district manager try to tell me about state rules all the time that they know nothing about. Stop the micro-management.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!