There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Overall not bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Madison, MS
Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Madison, MS

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being around beauty products, learning about them and the latest trends and being able to try the products. The is opportunity to advance within the company. Discounts. Raving fans! Benefits, insurance as manager.

Cons

Payroll hours. The not so raving fans. Black Friday. Unrealistic expectations, especially with lack of hours/employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with products that I'm genuinely interested in...Makeup...Its been fun as a college student

Cons

Unless you're a makeup expert you basically learn on the job

An okay first job for new hairstylists

Current Employee - Hair Designer I in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Hair Designer I in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at the ULTA salon for a year now and it was an okay job at first. I did not have any clientale to follow me when I got hired. It gave me an opportunity to accept walk-ins and gain more experience. My salon manager is nice and if I need a day off here or there she will usually accommodate it. All salon employees get free manicures and a hair service monthly.

Cons

The pay is not good. I have a base pay of $8 per hour but if I have enough clients I could make 43% of what I brought in to the salon. Some days are busy but most you spend trying talking to people on the floor to convert them into a salon service. I was also promised not to work every Sunday. I already work every Saturdays (as usual for hair stylists) but soon enough, I was being scheduled every Sunday even though I specifically asked that was the one day I didn't want to work a lot. I also had my hours cut when I had no one in my book for the day. Or I was sent home early on days I only have one client so the salon would make it's budget. Some weeks I would only get 12 hours in and that's from 3 days of 4 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to your employees. If you are specifically looking for a hair stylist for Sundays, there are plenty of people who would prefer that day. The base pay should be raised because hair stylists deserve to make more than minimum wage. They need to advertise the salon more in their magazine.