There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

It's fun until the crap starts.

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant
Current Employee - Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Lots of fun product
Decent amount of hours available (based on your performance)
OK discount on product (25%)
Good discount on salon services (50%)
Some customers are very gracious for your help, making your work rewarding.

Cons

-Very clique-y. Working with all women, it's inevitable. I'm just thankful the management likes me because my work life would be difficult otherwise.
-Poor pay. They expect way too much of their staff for the amount of work that's expected of them.
-Have to do janitorial work. Varies depending on the day, but it's common to have to sweep, run the floor cleaner, empty and take out garbage, mop the back room, clean out baskets, clean bathrooms, etc.
-Many unfulfilled promises of gratis for jobs well done.
-Have to con customers into signing up for Instyle subscription-- many come back angry later, waving credit card bill in hand.
-Have a 99.9% female customer base guarantees plenty of bitchy customers.
-Product training is limited to Prestige department, making it hard for the rest of the staff to have product knowledge. Prestige hours are the first to be cut, leaving the rest of the staff to answer many questions they don't know the answers to.
-There's not enough time to do everything that's expected of you...
-Schedules are constantly changed without notifying staff. Posted very late in the week as well.

Quite cutting hours, making work harder for those remaining.
Provide staff incentives to make up for pay.
Make the dress code more lenient. No one can afford to keep up with the professional dress code on Ulta pay.

722 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

Fun enviornment in sales, not enough hours or recognition for excellent performance.

Current Employee - Cashier/Prestige
    Current Employee - Cashier/Prestige

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Fun enviornment, enjoyable atmosphere,very personal and comfortable.

Cons

Not even minimal part time hours,no recognition for outstanding performance and product knowledge, unfair in the way employees are promoted..focusing more on how good of friends the managers are with employees as a way of advancing,instead of excellent costumer service and performance. Asking last minute for employees to come in to work, calling just right before they want you to work.Not enough training, especially for product knowledge. I know a whole lot more in the prestige department than any of the "prestige cosmetics" employees do,and sell a whole lot more product, even though my official title is just a cashier.

Exactly what all the other employees are saying...more hours..As well as fairly promoting the right employees for management, instead of the managers "friends". Offer better insurance coverage & offer more extensive training for employees, especially your prestige department.

Overall a great oppertunities

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I started off as a prestige consultant and worked my way up to management in a little over a year. The pay is comparable to other large retail chains.
    Love the environment!!! I have had other job offers, but just can't seem to leave Ulta behind. I love my team and my customers.
    Great gratis!

Cons

The training program is a joke. Ulta really needs to step up its game in this department. Sure anyone can sell Bare Minerals, Smashbox, and Urban Decay....but when we get new lines in and it's not a big name, we barely get enough information to be able to sell it.
    We hardly ever see our DM-although, members of management might be ok with it!
    Hours vs. workload is ridiculous. What they want us to accomplish in the small amount of time they give us is crazy. Also, when we are doing more business than the company forecasts, we can't add on hours.

Put more focus on people development!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!