Ulta Beauty

www.ulta.com
  www.ulta.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Lots of things to do, never enough time.

Former Employee - Associate Manager
Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the products and my people. Discount policy was decent and got lots of gratis.

Cons

They gave me 280 hours to schedule an entire store, including shipment processing (3.5 pallets) and resets/planograms. It's a bit unrealistic, especially if they still expect us to give the best guest experience.

Notice and investigate high turn over rates...there IS a reason and it seems like people are ignoring or tiptoeing around it. Understand what you're expecting of stores in regards to hours.

821 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

Fun Environment, Terrible Job

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount on product, I loved most of the people I worked with, Easy to get time off, Fun to be in the be beauty industry environment with all the new products & hair & makeup trends.

Cons

It was very difficult having the retail side managers run the salon. Some issues we had at our store were: Very little training, Too many discounts/ promotions on services, it made it very difficult to build a loyal clientele and people ALWAYS expected discounts.There was no receptionist to take salon calls/appointments and no voicemail for clients to leave messages, so we had to answer calls while we were with clients. The commission/ hourly pay are low and they make it very difficult to "level jump" by always cutting hours to make sure the salon would make its budget. Your numbers are all they care about, and its harder to make your numbers with things like $55 color and cut specials and barely any hours. They constantly changed stylists schedules without notice, and we rarely ever received gratis we were promised.

Try harder to understand the salon business is different than the retail business! & to follow the rules they enforce themselves.

The cons outweigh the pros

Former Employee - Associate Manager in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount, half off all salon services, gratis every period, lots of interaction between vendors/trainers, lots of in-store events.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off, management is a complete joke. There are hardly any hours to go around, always mandatory hour cuts (sometimes from full-timers/managers,) and no time to get anything done. Corporate acts like they are ready and willing to do anything for the store but in reality they aren't either aware or caring of the problems in the store. Lots of promotions from within which is both a bad thing and a good thing. GM's are severely under qualified.

More feedback and coaching to managers. GM's usually let problems persist until there is a huge breaking point; nothing is ever nipped in the bud. Better time management, more structure as far as roles go, and more training for the prestige brands.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty