Ulta Beauty

www.ulta.com
  www.ulta.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Lots of things to do, never enough time.

Former Employee - Associate Manager
Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the products and my people. Discount policy was decent and got lots of gratis.

Cons

They gave me 280 hours to schedule an entire store, including shipment processing (3.5 pallets) and resets/planograms. It's a bit unrealistic, especially if they still expect us to give the best guest experience.

Notice and investigate high turn over rates...there IS a reason and it seems like people are ignoring or tiptoeing around it. Understand what you're expecting of stores in regards to hours.

849 Other Employee Reviews for Ulta Beauty (View Most Recent)

Fun Environment, Terrible Job

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount on product, I loved most of the people I worked with, Easy to get time off, Fun to be in the be beauty industry environment with all the new products & hair & makeup trends.

Cons

It was very difficult having the retail side managers run the salon. Some issues we had at our store were: Very little training, Too many discounts/ promotions on services, it made it very difficult to build a loyal clientele and people ALWAYS expected discounts.There was no receptionist to take salon calls/appointments and no voicemail for clients to leave messages, so we had to answer calls while we were with clients. The commission/ hourly pay are low and they make it very difficult to "level jump" by always cutting hours to make sure the salon would make its budget. Your numbers are all they care about, and its harder to make your numbers with things like $55 color and cut specials and barely any hours. They constantly changed stylists schedules without notice, and we rarely ever received gratis we were promised.

Try harder to understand the salon business is different than the retail business! & to follow the rules they enforce themselves.

Much potential to succeed

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many departments mean lots of potential to learn about a wide variety of products. Great co-workers who I've built lasting friendships with.

Cons

The one pro can also be a con - with so many brands and products its often hard to answer customer questions and leave you feeling like an idiot. Big expectations that can't be followed through with thanks to lack of training (literally none) and management support. In our state a licensed esthetician is necessary to color match yet the company doesn't have the money to actually have one on the floor at all times. Lack of staff and support is major. The company itself has lots of potential but needs to look at how they present themselves compared to other beauty companies and why they see success in areas Ulta does not. It's definitely possible to create a "beauty destination" for all needs without feeling like you are in a trashy WalMart in a bad part of town.

Be upfront and honest. If someone has no chance at promotion, don't tell them it's basically a guarantee. Don't tell everyone they are doing a perfect job when there are areas they can improve upon, constructive criticism benefits everyone. That being said however, think about the requests and expectations you have for people. Sometimes 3 thrilled customers are better than 10 so so ones. And phones ringing aren't such a big deal when all guests in your store are helped and happy. Don't sit in your office on your phone and then wonder why you are out of touch with your associates and customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty