There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty

Lots of things to do, never enough time.

Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the products and my people. Discount policy was decent and got lots of gratis.

Cons

They gave me 280 hours to schedule an entire store, including shipment processing (3.5 pallets) and resets/planograms. It's a bit unrealistic, especially if they still expect us to give the best guest experience.

Notice and investigate high turn over rates...there IS a reason and it seems like people are ignoring or tiptoeing around it. Understand what you're expecting of stores in regards to hours.

reviews filtered by

Fun Environment, Terrible Job

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good discount on product, I loved most of the people I worked with, Easy to get time off, Fun to be in the be beauty industry environment with all the new products & hair & makeup trends.

Cons

It was very difficult having the retail side managers run the salon. Some issues we had at our store were: Very little training, Too many discounts/ promotions on services, it made it very difficult to build a loyal clientele and people ALWAYS expected discounts.There was no receptionist to take salon calls/appointments and no voicemail for clients to leave messages, so we had to answer calls while we were with clients. The commission/ hourly pay are low and they make it very difficult to "level jump" by always cutting hours to make sure the salon would make its budget. Your numbers are all they care about, and its harder to make your numbers with things like $55 color and cut specials and barely any hours. They constantly changed stylists schedules without notice, and we rarely ever received gratis we were promised.

Try harder to understand the salon business is different than the retail business! & to follow the rules they enforce themselves.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Received gratis (most of which had already been picked through), employee discount, discounted salon services, lovely group of associates

Cons

Had to work every weekend unless I specially requested off and that's if the GM approved it, often closed 4-5 nights in a row, had to take my lunch break two hours into my shift so the GM could go home early, when I was promoted it took 4 months, several conversations with the GM and finally me emailing HR to receive the proper pay and full time status, the GM has no experience.

My advice to management would be to start treating your employees like actual human beings and when they go above and beyond their job description and what they get paid to do, show some appreciation. I spent two years working my way up from cashier, to lead cashier, to merchandise and service coordinator, and finally an associate manager only to put in my two weeks and not even being able to finish out the two weeks because of the backlash I received. I had to contact HR about my pay and benefits because the GM failed to give me the information regarding insurance when I became full time. Because of this I went 4 months without insurance, I wasn't getting paid what I was promised AND I had not been accruing vacation time, sick pay, and holiday pay. I had to contact HR to get the whole issue solved which put a huge target on my back. Ever since then I've been singled out because I made the GM and DM look bad for not doing their job. I'm sad about the ways things ended and all of the lovely associates I had to leave but there isn't enough money in the world that could've kept me there. My advice to management is to take a better look at the people who hire to take care of your employees. I understand it's the beauty industry but to tell someone they need to wear more makeup or dress a certain way to get a job is not sending out the right message. I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in a company as I have been with Ulta.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty