There are newer employer reviews for Ultimate Software

Quite frankly, I don't understand how ULTI got best mid-sized employer

Former Employee - Consultant (Workplace) in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Consultant (Workplace) in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Peers are very nice and easy to get along with and the benefits are excellent; i.e. no cost to employees.

Cons

Workplace is an absolutely horrible place to work and the management there do not know what they are doing. Client assignments are made to consultants with no regard of current workload and complexity, training slots are limited and there are not enough slots available for the clients who need the training; if a client makes a change to their schedule, it could be months before another training slot becomes available to them. Engagement "managers" who oversee the projects have no experience and are unwilling to step in and set the right expectations for a client who is out of line. Because of this, the good clients are often overlooked and more attention is paid to belligerent ones. Both employees and customers are unhappy with the level of service being provided to customers; nearly every consultant feels they are failing due to the unreasonable demands put upon them. Several employees have had medical issues (including myself) due to the unreasonable demands put onto them. In sum, this place is the most poorly run, disorganized mess I have ever come across in my career. I wish I had something more positive to say about this organization but I truly do not.

Advice to Management

Look at the mess in Workplace and fire your senior management there. Bring in some talent who has dealt with a startup and can turn Workplace around. Focus on rock solid sales and implementations and set the right expectations from the beginning. Execute some actual planning and have enough resources to get implementations done on time and without errors. Finally, get some experienced engagement managers who have some experience in scope control and managing client relationships without coddling to them.

Other Employee Reviews for Ultimate Software

Politics abound. Keep your nose to the grindsone and you will be successful!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The people are very nice, open, and care for the customer. The focus on the "best place to work" drives a lot of decisions and "the bubble" helps protect negativity. If you are part of the original Ulti Family, you will never loose your job and you will always be protected.

Cons

The leadership team is very much focused on themselves. They are all nice, but not all have had the experience required to grow the company. It appears they are threatened by the new comers who have not 'grown up' at ULTI. The strategy also seems to change constantly and re-orgs are often random. People are fired without cause and no notice is given to the remaining employees. Because there is no performance management process, the non performers who are part of the "Ulti Family" are 'protected' and will never be managed to deliver and will never be managed out.

Advice to Management

Communicate substance, not just theme songs and flashy presentations that never get delivered. Stick to a strategy and have it become a reality & don't show new UI designs until they are really ready to deliver to customers. Don't get us excited and then not deliver! Also, implement a real performance management process. Let us know what our goals are and measure real deliverables. Promote based on merit and past successes, not on potential.

"The Best Medium-sized Company to Work for in America" is No Exaggeration

Current Employee - Network Operations Center Engineer in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Network Operations Center Engineer in Weston, FL

Pros

A comprehensive, stress-free new hire process, a loyal team atmosphere, a strong focus on the customer, and great people who are eager to help each other and their clients.

Cons

None! As a new hire, I have no complaints. Everyone seems

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Scott Scherr is obviously a committed CEO who cares about his employees and his customers, and definitely brings a "mom-and-pop" mentality to the workings of the company despite its size.