There are newer employer reviews for UniFirst

Peaks and valleys, but stick with it, and you'll be rewarded.

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Great benefits package, profit sharing, 401k match of 4%, lots of opportunity to move up, personable CEO, decent pay, one of the top companies in the industry, culture that breeds creativity, great co-workers, great support from corporate departments, excellent training, competitive atmosphere.

Cons

-Hours can be long regardless of what department you work in. -Typical corporate management structure leads to miscommunication between corporate and local level employees. -Bad hires can bring down an entire team. -Management does a poor job of removing bad hires. -Not a glamorous company. -EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON YOUR LOCATION and LOCATION'S GM/BM!

Advice to Management

I started in another department before moving to management. The former department has received a lot of criticism from other people on here. Long hours, low pay, poor management, etc. I'll address a few of these. As for the complaints about long hours as an RSR, if you've ever been in service before, then you shouldn't at all be surprised by long hours. RSR's can make great money, but yes, you will have to work 10+ hour days. As for low pay, some RSR's have the right to complain about this, but on the whole, you're probably in your first year. If you're outside of a year and you're still only getting your guaranteed pay while working 50+ hours a week on a route, I'd approach your management ASAP. As for poor management, this is probably the most crucial thing that makes or breaks an employee's experience. Of course, that can be said about any job. My location is awesome. My GM is awesome and my coworkers, for the most part, are also awesome. Thus, even when I feel like quitting, I take a step back and realize that while the job isn't glamorous, it's hard to find a place where the people you work for and work with respect you. If your location is different, then by all means, leave a complaint. A couple of weeks ago, I met the CEO and he took the time to speak with me about my intentions with the company. Out of all of the major corporations I have worked for, this has NEVER come close to happening. Finally, I'm giving Ron a rating of 5/5 not because I truly feel that way about his leadership, but to offset the internet ranters that gave him a 1. In reality, he's in the 4 range. The people who come on here and put a 1 probably came from a location that's having extreme difficulties with their general management. Before taking a job with UniFirst, talk to other employees about the management, it'll pay huge dividends to your overall experience with the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Is very exciting and promising at first!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Great training...if you are looking for a true pound the pavement type of job and earning your battle scars. This position will truly prepare you for an outside sales role, if you are an entry level person or out of college. Commission is very good and they do make it very rewarding if you are hitting your bonuses.

Cons

Management is huge! If you have a great leader or coach you will have a great time, but these people quickly leave. UniFirst seems to have certain people in the wrong areas, who are not great coaches and mainly managers. Everything is a mess, no organizational communication or systems actually set between sales and service. there is blame and pointing who's fault it was or the issue is passed down without knowing what the issue really is. Which delays the process of helping your customer even more. Very Micro managed - even though the higher ups claim it's not. You are supposed to drop your meetings or whatever you have going on if your management wants you to do something else. If you haven't hit your set number of meetings you will also have to stay in the office until you have hit that number. You will even have the joy of a manager or branch manager looking over your shoulder at some points. Every week and day can be different, even if you believe you have full control over it (which I am extremely organized).

Advice to Management

Higher ups...stop blaming managers for hiring the wrong people. That is not always the issue. I have been through many sales TEAMS and very intelligent individuals, who have left this company due to what I have said above. Sales Managers - take care of your people who been doing well, paid their dues, and actually be a manager. Voice what needs to be done and protect your people, say what you mean and mean what you say. Keep your promises or your words. Nothing brings down a sales rep more, when these aren't met or always changing.

2. Lackluster with high turnover.

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Lots of training and a good way to start into the b2b field.

Cons

High, high turnover in the sales department.