The overall experience with Unifirst as a Sales Consultant was above average and for the most part a good experience.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at UniFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for the company for 18 months. I spent 5 years in the industry as a sales rep. I know a little or two about this industry.

**Unlike other Uniform companies, the management is fair and reasonable. They do not put unfair burdens on you, and they teach you how to sell in this industry. Most of the management are proven performers in the company, so they focus on the right way to qualify and sell accounts.

**Other uniform companies, hire individuals as managers, who have no selling experience in this industry. You won't find managers in the Ohio Valley market that have huge egos, nor will they micro manage you to death. They are not bent on playing games that produce no results.

** Unifirst sales management will not waste your time and WILL NOT pound useless sales techniques and jargon over your head.

*** Unifirst pays you for what you sell, their commission structure does not have loop holes that cheat you, and if you can perform well, you can expect to be recognized and promoted.

**Ohio and Kentucky has proven sales performers, most of the Veteran sales professionals are Presidents Club achievers. They have top notch sales managers who know the industry and if you are thick skinned and driven, then this might be a great opportunity for you to prove yourself.

Cons

It is still the Uniform industry. Its tough and the competition is at your prospects and customers doors. I have 5 years experience in the industry, and that is enough for me and for the rest of my life. No hard feelings.

1. If you get behind on prospecting and have one poor quarter and two average quarters, don't expect to make it past your first year. Turn over is at least 80%.

2. Those who leave are individuals who can't make the cut. Get burned out. Get sick of the industry. Or realize that they should be doing something else, and end up hating the smell of a uniform ware house and all the negativity that snowballs once you lose heart.

... Its Laundry folks...Your selling Commercial Laundry...Prospects can't wait to meet with you...Sounds like fun doesn't it??? Its not.

3. As such, if you don't have the energy to go at it 100% 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, then don't even bother.

4. You must record your activity daily, and your activity will either reward you or doom you.

5. The law of Sales, especially as a Unifirst Sales Consultant is this:

'The law of Cause and Effect' : A Farming Metaphor: " If you don't tend to your soil in the winter, if you fail to plant crops in the spring, then you will have nothing growing in the summer, and you will fail to produce crops in the fall.. As such, you will have no harvest, and no job." If you want to make it...Then make it happen! No one else will do it for you!

Use sales Force and get rid of Logix...it is the worst sales tool for those who have difficulty with managing many tasks. Thank you, for the opportunity, as for me, my Uniform sales days are done! Not my cup of tea! Never was and never will be Why I ever spent 5 years in this industry is beyond me... I am a musician and have a Journalism degree...What the heck was I thinking? LOL Best Regards to all! :)

Other Reviews for UniFirst

Could have been great...

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

You will learn quickly if working in outside sales is right for you. Sales reps are responsible for prospecting, presenting, and account set up. Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here. You get to spend a decent amount of time in the field and depending on your manager you are essentially your own boss. The other sales reps I worked with were great and always helped each other out. While all this sounds wonderful there were too many other headaches to make it worth staying.

Cons

You spend a ton of time telemarketing, hours are long, and theres a lot of pressure. This was somewhat expected though so it was other issues that bothered me more.

My location was a disorganized nightmare. In just over two years I worked under two different sales managers (the second one was gone a month after me). Neither of them had prior management experience. Whenever reps asked for assistance they either didn't get it or Managers simply resorted to criticism. Help was basically defined by managers criticizing reps without offering solutions and throwing them under the bus. With this being the case most people are gone in a year.

At my location corporate's sales strategy was considered infallible. Therefore if you were having a rough week it was because you weren't following the process. Never mind the fact that you are selling 5 years service contracts, competing with nine other companies all basically offering the same service at a lower price, while having to meet an Almost unobtainable quota . A large part of the previously mentioned "sales process" Was tearing down competitors then basically making false promises

I can't remember how many customers called me six months after signing up to complain about price increases that we promised wouldn't happen and other service issues. On top of this customers trying to end service for just cause were Threatened with litigation or large buyout fees.

It's hard to get excited about selling laundry service and toilet paper in general, but My lack of faith in the company hurt my motivation even more. I'm not saying UniFirst was better or worse than the competition. The industry as a whole struck me as a little corrupt For lack of a better word.

I'll admit this type of outside sales was not for me and this affected my experience/performance, but When I started in 2010 Jobs were hard to come by so I was afraid to leave. I was making decent money when I left and took a huge pay cut, But I don't regret it at all.

My advice to new employees, stick it out one year for the experience and if you're as dissatisfied as I was start looking for new job. Stay if it's a good fit, But I wish I had left a year and a half earlier.

From a business perspective you guys are obviously doing something right. I mean the company is growing. However, Why not try to grow quality managers from within the company. Show more appreciation and support for your reps and especially the drivers. Both worked extremely hard at my location but felt isolated And had no passion for their job. To quote office space...

"my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired." - Peter Gibbons

High Stress

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Availability to make a lot of money

Cons

Work all the time which causes a lot of stress

less micromanagement

There are newer employer reviews for UniFirst.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!