UniFirst

www.unifirst.com
  www.unifirst.com
There are newer employer reviews for UniFirst

Happy to be on the TEAM!

Current Employee - Sales Manager
Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at UniFirst (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment. Sales Manager spends time in field with you to show you how to overcome objections!

Cons

It is a competitive industry, but what isn't now a days.

Pay more attention to your branches especially the ones making you good money... Give some back to them !! Florida has one heck of a team!

282 Other Employee Reviews for UniFirst (View Most Recent)

Manager in training

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Tampa, FL

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hand on training, get to know the business from ground up.

Cons

Working the floor sucks.

Could have been great...

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

You will learn quickly if working in outside sales is right for you. Sales reps are responsible for prospecting, presenting, and account set up. Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here. You get to spend a decent amount of time in the field and depending on your manager you are essentially your own boss. The other sales reps I worked with were great and always helped each other out. While all this sounds wonderful there were too many other headaches to make it worth staying.

Cons

You spend a ton of time telemarketing, hours are long, and theres a lot of pressure. This was somewhat expected though so it was other issues that bothered me more.

My location was a disorganized nightmare. In just over two years I worked under two different sales managers (the second one was gone a month after me). Neither of them had prior management experience. Whenever reps asked for assistance they either didn't get it or Managers simply resorted to criticism. Help was basically defined by managers criticizing reps without offering solutions and throwing them under the bus. With this being the case most people are gone in a year.

At my location corporate's sales strategy was considered infallible. Therefore if you were having a rough week it was because you weren't following the process. Never mind the fact that you are selling 5 years service contracts, competing with nine other companies all basically offering the same service at a lower price, while having to meet an Almost unobtainable quota . A large part of the previously mentioned "sales process" Was tearing down competitors then basically making false promises

I can't remember how many customers called me six months after signing up to complain about price increases that we promised wouldn't happen and other service issues. On top of this customers trying to end service for just cause were Threatened with litigation or large buyout fees.

It's hard to get excited about selling laundry service and toilet paper in general, but My lack of faith in the company hurt my motivation even more. I'm not saying UniFirst was better or worse than the competition. The industry as a whole struck me as a little corrupt For lack of a better word.

I'll admit this type of outside sales was not for me and this affected my experience/performance, but When I started in 2010 Jobs were hard to come by so I was afraid to leave. I was making decent money when I left and took a huge pay cut, But I don't regret it at all.

My advice to new employees, stick it out one year for the experience and if you're as dissatisfied as I was start looking for new job. Stay if it's a good fit, But I wish I had left a year and a half earlier.

From a business perspective you guys are obviously doing something right. I mean the company is growing. However, Why not try to grow quality managers from within the company. Show more appreciation and support for your reps and especially the drivers. Both worked extremely hard at my location but felt isolated And had no passion for their job. To quote office space...

"my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired." - Peter Gibbons

There are newer employer reviews for UniFirst