There are newer employer reviews for Unilever

A great place for highly talented people to build their careers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong performance culture. Results are rewarded, face-time is not. Be prepared to work really hard but you will learn from other very talented people with a commitment to delivering at a very high level. Competitive pay for good performers. Ethical company with a strong commitment to sustainability. Really relationship-driven and networked company and you will likely get to know colleagues all over the globe. Diversity is valued and generally the work environment is inclusive.

Cons

Not a place for average performers as they will find work too challenging and will likely wash out eventually. Be prepared to work early and late days, some weekends and some holidays. I won't be able to take my vacation time this year because the workload is so heavy. In fact, I'll be happy to take off a long weekend for Christmas and a long weekend for New Years. When you are sick, you will either come to the office or work from home. People don't quit working when they're sick because no one else picks up the slack and you're so much worse off when you return to work. Same thing with vacations. You can't disconnect.

Work life balance is an issue. Workloads are heavy, expectations are high and so stress is also high. Employees are burning out and management should address this or there will be an exodus from the company as the economy improves.

759 Other Employee Reviews for Unilever (View Most Recent)

Encouraging, inspiring, dedicated

Former Employee - Customer Development Intern in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Development Intern in Rogers, AR

I worked at Unilever as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company's learning culture is invaluable to an intern and entry-level employees. It has so many resources and invaluable talent within the organization eager to help new talent on board.

Cons

Because the company is so large, getting answers from human resources takes some time. Human resources for North America is centralized at its New Jersey headquarters and all the remote offices are at a disadvantage when wanting questions answered from HR. When asked questions, I am rarely given a clear answer the first time, whether it is deadlines or who to contact for what.

HR needs to be more personalized. From my observations with my own manager, employees fill out a survey once or twice a year to evaluate the HR department's performance. If HR touched base more often and was more invested in its employees, maybe the results from those surveys would be less scathing.

fantastic foundation for my career

Current Employee - Consumer Insights in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Consumer Insights in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

exposure to tons of research techniques, from product development and packaging to ad campaigns to in-market evaluations. a company that sees very little attrition, most likely due to the culture and great brands

Cons

the split between brand development and brand building creates a lot of extra work, namely through prolonged, self-serving debates. getting promoted is very difficult and not based purely on merit; you're often "waiting in line"

There are newer employer reviews for Unilever