HUL

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Mumbai (India)
Current Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is one of the best MNC's in India and the experience of working in HUL can give you amazing knowledge, experience and opportunities.

Cons

The work environment is monitored with disciplinary code of conduct principles

Other Employee Reviews for Unilever

Great Company with niggling shortcomings

Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great balanced and diverse culture. Performance-driven tempered with wholesome "family-ness". Opportunities for travel and training.

Cons

Pay is not competitive enough Human Resource Management seem more focused on processes rather than people itself. Lack of career certainty (roadmap) for entry-to-mid level positions.

Advice to Management

Divert more resources to truly developing internal talent for the long-run, invest in retaining and nurturning talent pipeline instead of resorting to mid-career recruits. This will enable long-term competitive advantage if Unilever wants to be the top FMCG company.

A truly great business with a unique vision

Pros

True emphasis on sustainable growth - operating ethically will deliver improved sales Outstanding people and collaborative culture Genuine work/life balance achieved for most employees Wonderful brands that really do improve consumers' lives Good pay, based on good performance Still massive opportunities to grow in new markets and win share through innovation

Cons

Decision-making can be painfully slow - driven by consensus culture and obsession with keeping everyone happy and informed Product performance is not necessarily as good as competitors in some areas (laundry, some foods) and some ranges have become too flabby and indistinct Extraordinarily hierarchical - like the colonial civil service in some respects Not a business for mercurial minds and instinctive, creative spirits

Advice to Management

A record-breaking year in 2012 and another in prospect for 2013 despite global downturn. The temptation must be to just carry on what we're doing right now. But we have to be faster, more imaginative and less bureacratic if we're to see off hungry competitors. We talk about it, but I don't see the people aroud me changing...