Union Bank N.A.
www.unionbank.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Great company with very competitive pay and a very proud management

Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

ProsThey are a very proud regional bank that has a lot of pride in what they do. The managers were very experienced (most of them came from the government banking sector) and competent. They taught me a wealth of information and one even took me as a mentor. The hours are very great and they really want employees to balance work/ life. The benefits are not as competitive as other banks, but they offer above average pay! This alone makes it worthwhile. UB is now private, but I feel that the managers intend to go public within a few years.

ConsThere is really nothing much to hate about this bank. They are very conservative with their lending practices and that proved to be a GREAT thing over this current economic downturn. My only complain might be the fact that they are owned by a Japanese bank so they might be a little bit of too conservative at certain times. The EVP, SVP, VP, RVP all have to report to the higher up and certain huge decisions depend on the executive vp to respond before it can continue. My VP was a very caring guy though and I loved working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhil Flynn is doing a VERY great job at leading this organization. I think he made a few millions when UB was privatized so I am very happy for him. Maybe this means that they will offer us stock options in case the bank ever decides to go public again.

Stable work, have to pay time to move up- health benifits not so great

Small Business Sales Officer (Current Employee)
Brea, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros: Stability, its not publicly traded bank so you have better job security… Cons: Health benefits are a joke. Its cheaper to go through the health insurance directly you could get a similar or less quote. Vision coverage just… Advice to Senior Management: "As is" to branch management I hear from customers that customer service… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A good place to work overall, but recent changes have yet to fully impact the results and environment.

Vice President (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros: Benefits are excellent, including a defined benefit pension plan, multiple choices for employer-subsidized medical/dental, 401(k) with matching, good vacation policy, etc. The higher grade… Cons: Crazy detail orientation of the Japanese parent bank - watch out, there are a million requests for useless information flying around this place all of… Advice to Senior Management: Enforce communication throughout the bank better - just telling SVP- or even VP-level employees and above, then expecting them to communicate downward, is not working… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Union Bank N.A..

Worked for Union Bank N.A.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Bank N.A. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Union Bank N.A. CEO Masashi Oka. All reviews posted anonymously by Union Bank N.A. employees.