There are newer employer reviews for Union Bank N.A.

Great company with very competitive pay and a very proud management

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

They are a very proud regional bank that has a lot of pride in what they do. The managers were very experienced (most of them came from the government banking sector) and competent. They taught me a wealth of information and one even took me as a mentor. The hours are very great and they really want employees to balance work/ life. The benefits are not as competitive as other banks, but they offer above average pay! This alone makes it worthwhile. UB is now private, but I feel that the managers intend to go public within a few years.

Cons

There is really nothing much to hate about this bank. They are very conservative with their lending practices and that proved to be a GREAT thing over this current economic downturn. My only complain might be the fact that they are owned by a Japanese bank so they might be a little bit of too conservative at certain times. The EVP, SVP, VP, RVP all have to report to the higher up and certain huge decisions depend on the executive vp to respond before it can continue. My VP was a very caring guy though and I loved working there.

Advice to Management

Phil Flynn is doing a VERY great job at leading this organization. I think he made a few millions when UB was privatized so I am very happy for him. Maybe this means that they will offer us stock options in case the bank ever decides to go public again.

reviews filtered by

A good place to work overall, but recent changes have yet to fully impact the results and environment.

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Benefits are excellent, including a defined benefit pension plan, multiple choices for employer-subsidized medical/dental, 401(k) with matching, good vacation policy, etc. The higher grade you are, the better the fringe benefits get, obviously, but the basic benefit package is good even for lower-level employees.

Decent emphasis on work-life balance, though that seems to be fraying around the edges with the advent of the Japanese taking the bank private. Some opportunities for face time with senior management and educational opportunities are being scheduled on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings - not cool.

Annual reviews are fair and open with the opportunity to respond to criticisms.

"Talent Management" and Employee Relations are the real deal; they do their best to represent the employees fairly and provide opportunities for advancement where advancement or career variety is desired.

Except for the occasional bureaucratic, hidebound jerk, the people are very genuinely nice and many have long tenures with this bank. Generally helpful, too, and willing to share information and provide assistance where needed. Job satisfaction seems to be relatively high around the place.

Smart executive management that makes sound business decisions, leading to relatively more job stability and a better working environment and better pay for everyone.

A program is in test stages for telecommuting, job sharing, flex time and other work set-ups that are not always common in the financial services industry. If this pilot program and its intended mentality propagates throughout the bank, it'll be a great asset.

Cons

Crazy detail orientation of the Japanese parent bank - watch out, there are a million requests for useless information flying around this place all of a sudden. Some damage to usually-excellent employee morale has been done with this transaction.

Despite executive management efforts to communicate and be transparent, sometimes objectives and goals of the company don't get passed down below the SVP level effectively. This leads to disenfranchisement of the folks who do the "real" work.

If you want to advance your career, it's up to you to take the lead. No one is going to push you upward unless you're a "Golden Child" who has been tapped by senior executives to move up. This is a pro and a con, really, because it allows people who want to tread water to stay where they are competent...but also can lead to stagnation.

Advice to Management

Enforce communication throughout the bank better - just telling SVP- or even VP-level employees and above, then expecting them to communicate downward, is not working entirely well. Strategic plans and directives are important even to the lowest level line people.

Be on guard for impinging on employees' personal lives. Working on Saturday mornings may be OK in Japan, but not in the U.S.

Figure out a better incentive compensation program. What is offered here is not comparable to other places, especially now that stock compensation is out the door.

Stable work, have to pay time to move up- health benifits not so great

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Officer in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Small Business Sales Officer in Brea, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Stability, its not publicly traded bank so you have better job security and better ways to get new clients that expect strong financial stability

Cons

Health benefits are a joke. Its cheaper to go through the health insurance directly you could get a similar or less quote. Vision coverage just covers glasses every other year. So it may be great for the older people but not the younger ones since we are paying the high premiums for the older workers :(

Advice to Management

"As is" to branch management I hear from customers that customer service needs to be improved and tellers need to be more customer friendly