Good Company Overall

Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Take care of their employees, senior management is approachable and easy to contact, great company culture pre 2009

Cons

Compensation may not be up to par with some other similar employers, efforts can easily go unnoticed, products are dated, new senior management making a lot of changes to company culture and way they employees are treated

Advice to Management

New retail heads need to improve their treatment of front line sales staff. Also need to update some of the products offered

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Friendly people, profitable company.

Former Employee - Foreign Exchange in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Foreign Exchange in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Friendly team environment. People had a good attitude about work and each other. Extremely profitable and resourceful group of professionals.

Cons

Lack of hierarchy. Meritocracy within limits as designated by seniority of coworkers. Some lack of career advancement, as there were clear gaps between levels.

Advice to Management

Increase efforts to promote from within. Training can and should be formalized not only at the company wid elevel, but also at the department and group level.

Great company with very competitive pay and a very proud management

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

They are a very proud regional bank that has a lot of pride in what they do. The managers were very experienced (most of them came from the government banking sector) and competent. They taught me a wealth of information and one even took me as a mentor. The hours are very great and they really want employees to balance work/ life. The benefits are not as competitive as other banks, but they offer above average pay! This alone makes it worthwhile. UB is now private, but I feel that the managers intend to go public within a few years.

Cons

There is really nothing much to hate about this bank. They are very conservative with their lending practices and that proved to be a GREAT thing over this current economic downturn. My only complain might be the fact that they are owned by a Japanese bank so they might be a little bit of too conservative at certain times. The EVP, SVP, VP, RVP all have to report to the higher up and certain huge decisions depend on the executive vp to respond before it can continue. My VP was a very caring guy though and I loved working there.

Advice to Management

Phil Flynn is doing a VERY great job at leading this organization. I think he made a few millions when UB was privatized so I am very happy for him. Maybe this means that they will offer us stock options in case the bank ever decides to go public again.