Union Electric Steel

N/a

Current Employee - MACHINE OPER in Carnegie, PA
Current Employee - MACHINE OPER in Carnegie, PA

I have been working at Union Electric Steel

Pros

Good pay and good healthcare

Cons

Poorly managed. Don't listen to anyones ideas. Treat union guys like they are no one. Promote people for who they know not for what they know

N/a

13 Other Employee Reviews for Union Electric Steel (View Most Recent)

No communication, no respect. Not a place for women.

I have been working at Union Electric Steel

Pros

I work in the plant, and it's a very laid-back environment. I know all the employees, and any time I have a question for a coworker, it get answered immediately. The level employees and lower level management are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It's a very interesting place to work, and the technology and machining used is fascinating to watch.

Cons

Headquarters (directly across the street) makes decisions about processes used by the plant employees without talking to anyone who actually does that particular job. Any request for information from headquarters requires jumping through several hoops. There is only one women's bathroom in the entire plant, and it is used often by the men. Women, regardless of title, seem to be treated like secretaries.

When senior management (VPs and CEOs from headquarters) visit the plant, they do not acknowledge plant employees at all. Not even a hello or eye contact. I have never worked in a place where I was treated so rudely by senior management. I actually had one senior staff member walk into my office, look around, and walk out without ever acknowledging that there was a person (me) in the room.

I have never worked anywhere that had so many employees, including lower level management, looking for a better job. This is the lowest I've ever seen morale at any employer.

The company is laying off employees and production seems to be declining, but management continues to tell us that we're going to have a great year. It seems as if they don't even respect us enough to just come out and tell us the truth. If everything is going great, why are we laying off and letting go of so many people?

Finally, unless you are friends with someone in senior management, there is no opportunity for advancement. Every promotion I have seen has been given to someone who was friends with a VP or a CEO. Many of these advancements were given to people who are (according to the company's own standards) not qualified for the job.

Ask the people who actually DO the jobs before you make changes, not just the supervisors and superintendants. Have a little respect for your employees and at least say hello or smile when you're in the plant. Instead of only having meetings with supervisors, bring in the support staff. They have a lot of excellent ideas that are going to waste.

will be going down and taking Ampco Pittsburgh with it.

I have been working at Union Electric Steel

Pros

The pay scale and benefits for union employees is really good. The company has been very inovative in the roll industry. The company is willing to invest mony back into the company as recently shown in all of the plants. A brand new forge press was recently installes at the Harmon Creek plant.

Cons

Management is going in the wrong direction. The man that is being set to take over in a very important position clearly is not qualified to do so based on his predecessors qualifications and his lack of experience in the roll business, to name just a few of many short comings. To further illustrate this point, management has recently placed a man in an important position that is believed to have only a two year degree from a technical school. The men that held this job in the past were metalurgist. Both salary and union employees have grave concerns about the future of the company, and it's ability to continue to compete successfully in this very competitive market.

Go back to promoting from with in. It's a proven formula that has worked very well in the past,and one that has put us on top of the roll industry. This current path seems to be leading us to something we don't want to be, the next Weirton Steel or worse.

There are newer employer reviews for Union Electric Steel