Union Pacific

www.up.com

Horrible Politics in IT Department

Manager (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat business and technical problems to solve. Company has an impact on the overall economy. No shortage of project work. Decent retirement benefits unless Ryan budget eliminates the Railroad Retirement Board.

ConsIT management is very ineffective in developing talent - you're on your own. Internal politics promotes a culture of dishonesty, deception and infighting far worse than other shops. Advancement opportunities are more related to who you have lunch with and what you can promise rather than what you can actually deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy failing to manage low performers out of the organization, top talent will continue to find better opportunities. Provide more transparency to salary administration.

good retirement benefits, no growth

Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Good retirement Benefits. Great Job security. Cons: promotion not based on merit, just depends on if you have… Advice to Senior Management: Company succeeds if there are good managers, hire the right… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great job, bad politics, good people.

Conductor (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great money and benefits. Fun job, not stuck in a… Cons: Terrible lifestyle. Always on call. Have to be there awhile to… Advice to Senior Management: Hire managers with practical experience, not college kids who have… More
There are newer reviews on Union Pacific.

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!