Union Pacific

www.up.com

Dispatcher

Train Dispatcher (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat salary, particularly considering the fact that no college degree is required.

You only work eight hours a day 5 days a week, which is unusual.

ConsIf you have a degree of any kind do not become a Dispatcher it’s a tremendous waste of time, many of the managers of Dispatchers have no degree and it shows. I’m not saying they’re bad at what they do but they are not innovative or supportive or developmental, they do just enough to eak-bye and that’s it. The senior level managers have very little respect for Dispatchers particularly those managers within HDC, we’ve had a new VP and the man has never even spoken to us which says it all.

If you would like a job with no growth potential then this may be for you, however:

You’re on call 331 days out of the year 24 hours a day (taking into account vacation, 2 days off a month and 3 personal days)

Your schedule may vary from working 1st shift (Yep Shift Work) to 2nd shift to 3rd shift have a day on call then back to 1st. So be prepared to sleep whenever, also random drug and alcohol screenings which means no more having a beer even when you’re not scheduled to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis position should be reserved for field employees who have worked their way up, this would eliminate the turnover issue you’ll encounter during the next 3 years when all of the Dispatcher with degrees move on to other departments (How don’t you see it coming?).

There has finally been some replacement of senior managers with HDC which is a step in the right direction keep going there are a lot more (Look in the scheduling Department).

Finally stop the nepotism, this company has been very successful but HDC is starting to get sluggish having been filled with people who’s mom or dad worked there, this does not mean they are good candidates for dispatchers or employees.

Locomotive Diesel Electrician

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Easy laid back atmosphere for an electrician Cons: you won't have weekends off for at least 8 years usually 10, when your… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees and treat them with more respect. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Horrible Politics in IT Department

Manager (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great business and technical problems to solve. Company has an impact on the overall economy. … Cons: IT management is very ineffective in developing talent - you're on your own. Internal politics promotes a culture of dishonesty, deception and infighting far… Advice to Senior Management: By failing to manage low performers out of the organization, top talent will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Union Pacific.

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!