Union Pacific

www.up.jobs
  www.up.jobs
There are newer employer reviews for Union Pacific

Work hard and sacrifice and you will be rewarded, but weight your decision carefully

Current Employee - Director in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Director in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heavy attrition has opened up many opportunities over the past few years. Employees at the company will have ample chance to step up the corporate ladder. Hard work is acknowledged and the vision of the company will change the current work atmosphere. There is a declared intent to help field operations and work/life balance. Field operations offer an unparalleled experience for young field managers that would be hard to find elsewhere. Good pay (you will have to really earn it), and decent overall benefits. The Class I railroads have a couple of perks not available elsewhere: railroad retirement (as opposed to Social Security) and railroad pension (becoming rarer and rarer in today's world)--both are highly lucrative if you stick it out in the long run.

Cons

This company, from a field manager/director's perspective, is NOT for the feint of heart. Despite telling you along the way that you should: "expect to give up birthdays", "you will miss Christmas", "you will work more than 60 hours a week", I often see complaints that this happens to be the case. While I believe I knew exactly what I signed up for, many people simply cannot make the sacrifice. There is a clear distinction between field operations and an equivalent headquarters job. Field operations managers will make more and they tend to do so faster, at the cost of quality of life. There will be nightmare weeks, even months, and the railroad senior leadership is aware of the issue, but it should come as no surprise to any new manager as I believe many are warned before, during, and after! That said, weigh the pro's and con's on this one. Many people think they can work 70+ hour weeks, but I can personally vouch that most people can't make the grade for extended durations. This job will take care of your family financially, but may leave you wanting for more. As with all major corporations, there are politics at play--some people will be pulled up the ranks simply being part of the "right crowd" or there's a "sugar daddy/mommy" looking out for someone, but I do believe that you can still succeed in great fashion without the politics (I am testament to this. I was promoted because of results). This company will chew you up if you are not careful, and it will be very hard to have much of a life that ISN'T railroad--it's for some people, not others.

Senior Leadership of the company is aware of work/life balance--culture change takes time. Most people understand the business behind it, but safety makes may field jobs ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE. I believe in my heart that safety should be a core value to each and every railroad employee, but field managers spend an upwards of 50% or more of their activities around safety! We hover around a 1.00 RSI......that means that 50% of our time is spent on the 1% that do not work safe. The same result can be achieved without the same weighting! Focus on UP Way, engagement, culture and this will come naturally. You will run off a lot of great candidates interested in the BUSINESS side of our industry with the approach currently in place. There may be some disconnect at the service unit level in regards to this.

273 Other Employee Reviews for Union Pacific (View Most Recent)

Excellent pay but no life.

Current Employee - Manager of Yard Operations
    Current Employee - Manager of Yard Operations

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, lots of travel, plenty of opportunity

Cons

No personal life whatsoever. Hours are insane

Hire more managers and have all managers work 8 hour shifts versus 12+

Great pay and work

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in West Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in West Colton, CA

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays really good. Received locomotive engineer certification.

Cons

Was laid off after completion of engineers class.

You had to do what you had to do. I thank you for my certification.

There are newer employer reviews for Union Pacific