There are newer employer reviews for Union Pacific

Great Organization to work for if you get the opportunity.

Former Employee - Train Crewman in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Train Crewman in Houston, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent retirement benefits. Opportunity to travel. Excellent opportunity to move within the company. This is a company were you can earn 70K with a high school diploma.

Cons

It is to be expected to work in extreme heat and cold weather, and hard physical labor. If these things do not appeal to you then these would be considered cons. You are on-call to report to your train. I am prior military so it did not bother me.

Advice to Management

I would recommend management reconsidering their scoring system prior to terminating an individual from written test. You are required to score 85% on first exam and 90% on retest, and not on percentages that will not be rounded to the next whole number. 89.7% on a retest should be rounded to 90%. Some people are not great test takers but have the concepts and practical exercise down.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company overall

Former Employee - Conductor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Conductor in Houston, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are with a stable company Great benefits Opportunity to advance within Meeting interesting people You have a great opportunity to make really good money

Cons

Possible relocation at some time No room for a social life Some of the people that may train you can be a headache Alot of testing that determines if you keep your job It's hard to get in the door to this company

Advice to Management

None

UNION PACIFIC IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY, full of lies.

Current Employee - Train Crew in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Train Crew in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none , nothing but lies and homework

Cons

They lied to us about our pay for training, saying $140 to $150 a day. When we started we were given all day class work and 4 to 5 hours a night of class work, and told we would only get $10 bucks an hour and only for the time in class which was 8 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Answer complaints, still after a month all we can get from them is " I don't know," and meetings with us to tell us how important the company stock price is. Seems to be an excuse as to why they are not paying us what was promised.