Union Square Hospitality Group

www.ushgnyc.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Union Square Hospitality Group

If how you feel at work is important to you, this is the company to work for.

Current Employee - Dining Room Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Dining Room Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Union Square Hospitality Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate culture is all about intelligence, warmth, understanding, and empathy. There is opportunity to learn develop skills through training classes. Career growth is possible within the company and is their preferred method of hiring - cultivating their current employees for higher positions.

Cons

They expect a lot from you emotionally, and they do not have the most competitive compensation compared to similar jobs in the industry. The hours can be incredibly long, and they expect a lot from you and it's hard to say "no" even when it's in your best interest.

Advice to Management

Really look at the operational differences when you are pricing your management salary. Not all of the restaurants are the same, and the managers should be compensated appropriately.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Awesome experience

Former Employee - Server Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Union Square Hospitality Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An absolute pleasure to work for a restaurant owned by Danny Meyer. As a previous employee of Wegmans for about ten years (Rochester, NY--Fortune 500- in top 5 ever year), to work for a company that shares the same views and values (educates, motivates and empowers their employees to make great decisions that improve the quality of their life.) as the Wegman family, is hard to find in the busy metropolis of NYC. Management is awesome and you can tell that Mr. Meyer takes the time to make sure he fill his restaurants with managers that understand that philosophy- happy employees who are passionate about, and love their job-- attract satisfied, happy guests; more business; and an overall successful restaurant. He is truely the "Danny Wegman" of the restaurant industry which is a rare quality to find in this competitive, often cutthroat industry.
    Training was great and there is plenty of room to advance if you are a passionate, dedicated individual.

Cons

disliked uniform- server assistants had to wear an ill fitting smock looking thing that was also very heavy in material.

Advice to Management

Would like a chance to interact more with Chef Meyer. I was only lucky enough to work for a few months (family emergency required me to move out of NYC) The only meeting I had set up to meet him (which excited me from the moment I was hired and told I would get a chance to speak with him.) He had to cancel and unfortunately the employee 'orientation' session was never rescheduled. There are alot of employees, myself especially, that studied his writings, researched him in culinary school and was overwhelmed by the idea of meeting a Culinary entrepeneur such as he. I was flabbergasted when I first began to study about him- it is rare to find quality managers that you respect and want to emulate; whose values and ethics are not put on the back burner over having a great bottom line. Successful businesses need both but it is a rareity in the restaurant industry for sure!
    I also think he couldnt have picked a better manager than Dino!

2. An exhausting, frustrating, way-too-long experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Union Square Hospitality Group

Pros

If you want to go far in the food world, having a job within in the Union Square Hospitality Group will help you to achieve those goals

Cons

Low pay, extremely long hours, high and unrelenting pressure, lots of bias from the supervisors (sous chefs specifically), very little understanding when you're struggling to pick up a new concept or station

Advice to Management

Your cooks? They're humans. They need time off, they need positive reinforcement, they need your understanding when they're having a terrible night and can't seem to get out of the weeds. Calling them out on it in front of the entire kitchen won't do anything except make them shut down to you. Fear only works so well for so long. It's vital for the health of the kitchen that the cooks feel appreciated.