United Airlines

Great Travel horrible pay

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at United Airlines

Pros

Merging with Continental Airlines so it should change dramatically for the better. You get to travel for free and the health and dental are great. The vacation is also exceptional

Cons

The pay is horrible, United management lied to new employees during the interview process on how much we would make starting. The initial starting salary was discussed at the interview to be a min of 22-25 thousand( very little anyways) the first year then consistent raises the longer you worked. However they really started us around 16-17k a year. We lived in San Fransisco and it was impossible to live even far outside the city without multiple roommates. Even after 5 years with the company you still dont make 30k a year working on average 60 hour weeks. However since we only got paid when the doors were closed and when the doors open when we land. We never got paid for bording and departure, never got paid if there was delays. The average work day for me was 16 hour day from the time we had briefing until we reached out hotel.

simple, people dont mind hard work but people want to get a fair wage for their time. Pay people when they are working, if you want flight attendants to help people get seated and do all the organizational work prior to departure and deplaning then pay us. The job is not always very hard and there is often a lot of downtime at work. However it still is time consuming and energy draining. It steals holidays weekends away from people and people should be paid accordingly. minimum pay for a flight attendant job should be 35k starting with 5 year pay at 45. max out at 60k. It would attract younger people into the field and refresh the workforce.

714 Other Employee Reviews for United Airlines (View Most Recent)

Had a great time while it was Continental

Former Employee - IT Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines

Pros

Wonderful work environment and people

Cons

Management needed to hire by the employee skills and experience.

Hire by skill set not by straws

Great place, Great people

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

Technology company with wings, great benefits

Cons

Salary ranges unfair between Houston and Chicago

There are newer employer reviews for United Airlines