United Airlines

www.united.com
There are newer employer reviews for United Airlines

United gives me great opportunities.

Current Employee - Supervisor - In Flight Service in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Supervisor - In Flight Service in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-We are evolving; creating a new brand, opportunities, and reaching new destinations with state-of-the art aircraft.
-Great employee benefits package and access to unique privileges and discounts.
-Fantastic recognition programs on company-wide basis.
-Love traveling? Go anywhere in the world.

Cons

-Certain technology systems (employee and customer facing) need improvement/development.
-Ongoing labor negotiations distract co-workers from enjoying the job.

-Continue to engage co-workers and review the leadership culture. In other words, survey the workforce on company culture. If necessary, take action with leaders that don't live up to the Working Together philosophy.
-Invest in stations that need facility improvements.
-Encourage cross-divisional job shadowing; allow co-workers to learn other parts of the business.

781 Other Employee Reviews for United Airlines (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for 'in theory', potentially great 'in practice.'

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good pay/benefits...and obviously flight benefits.
    - Upper management tries to be transparent despite Corp Comm and HR's best efforts to stifle.
    - CEO Jeff Smisek is very visible and seems genuine.
    - Because of merger, opportunities tend to be more merit-based than tenure-based...but could still improve.
    - Back-office policy seems to becoming more flexible (i.e. relaxed dress code, work from home, etc.)
    - I belief corporate culture is trending upward.

Cons

- "...because that's the way we've always done it" is still acceptable reason.
    - Vertical hierarchy cripples back-office and front-office operations. I believe leadership recognizes this which is a plus, but is clueless on how to fix it.
    - Most innovative idea to come from HR seems to be electronic pay stubs.
    - ...don't laugh Corp Comm, I'm not sure you know what the phrase "outside-the-box" means.
    - Would like to see more horizontal learning opportunities.

STOP COMPROMISING! Too many decision were made post-merger based on compromises as to not hurt someone's feelings, rather than deconstructing the issue to come to the best solution. Overall, emotions and who is the loudest tend to play more of a role in decision-making than actual facts and strategy.

I think our leadership does a fantastic job of responding to feedback when it comes, but does a poor job of inviting it or acting on it.

Also, start thinking outside-the-box especially as it pertains to policy and procedures.

Like a family

Current Employee - Corporate - Willis Tower in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate - Willis Tower in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are so friendly and we have a lot of fun! I've been at United 20 years, and my co-workers are like my family. The travel perks are the best of course! I've traveled all over the world with my flight benefits; Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, Hawaii and other U.S. destinations. United has flights to them all! We're also seeing great results from our recent merger.

Cons

Aviation is an exciting, ever changing environment. I'm never bored, there's always something new to learn. If you don't like change, then this may not be for you. However if you embrace learning new skills, this is the place for you!

There are newer employer reviews for United Airlines