There are newer employer reviews for United Airlines

Work is okay, but poorly managed, and 10-yr pay progression makes a career unlikely for most.

Current Employee - Ramp Service Agent in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Ramp Service Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full benefits even for part-time. Flight benefits if you have the stomach for it. Union job protection. Work load is comfortable. Great group of fellow ramp agents. Work outdoors.

Cons

10-yr pay progression from $9/hr-$21/hr. Poor management at all levels. Many worker concessions over the past 20 yrs. No COLA raises beyond top pay scale. Weak union due to US legislative constraints. Flight benefits often difficult to take advantage of. Work outdoors in all weather.

Advice to Management

Reduce pay progression to 3 years and watch turnover plummet. Get your CBAs settled in a timely fashion to empower your entire work force. Hire people-managers not police and bean counters.

reviews filtered by

After a few months...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like the company in general. The people are polite, but still laid back. They take an interest in me and my development. The flight benefits are also great- you may have to be a little creative to use them but I've been able to go everywhere I want to.

Cons

Like anywhere, your boss and the people in your department can make or break your experience. I don't really like the group I currently work for.

Taxes on the flight benefits- not really United's fault, but I wish they had explained it better. If your +1 on you flight benefits is not your spouse, you are going to be taxed on them using your flight benefits. Round trip between Chicago and Washington DC costs me $85 in taxes, so it can add up.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people who you have working in middle management roles are good leaders and take an interest in their employees.

Wonderful experience working in corporate.

Former Intern - Industrial Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Industrial Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked as an industrial engineering intern with very smart people in the CIEO department. They gave me a multitude of projects and let me travel to collect data at different sites to gain different experiences. Standby travel was also a huge plus.

Cons

There was a definite disconnect between the front-end of the business (actually being at the airport, customer service, etc.) and the back-end (corporate).