United BioSource

www.ubc.com
  www.ubc.com
There are newer employer reviews for United BioSource

Bracket is a complete grind

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United BioSource

Pros

Flexible work arrangements
Very good people
Biotech industry with a focus on Technology
Diverse set of clients within the industry

Cons

Project manager job is a complete grind
The work amounts to customer service a 2nd tier technical support
Actual project management is a relatively small part of the job

Stop with the band aids and look at organizational and process change. This is no longer a small company. The turnover here is way to high for a company in a good industry, that pays competitive thought not great salaries. The workload is uneven and most of the time unbearable, largely do to the poor distribution of work, the burdensome SOPs and the lack of ability to resource work effectively.

60 Other Employee Reviews for United BioSource (View Most Recent)

No sense of work life balance here

Former Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at United BioSource

Pros

Interesting work, opportunities to travel, budget and time allocated for staff to attend conferences, nice colleagues (aside from management), great support staff

Cons

Long hours, frequent cycles of staff turnover, lack of training for new hires, upper management without experience in management, lack of mentoring, unfairness in promotions - lack of consistency in promotions, emotionally unstable research leaders who curse at staff and send derogatory emails to the teams. Poor communication from senior management. Less generous benefits since MEDCO acquisition. Unrealistic utilization rates given work responsibilities.

Be responsive to employee's feedback.

Unrealistic deadlines, Project Managers who promise the world only to disappoint clients

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United BioSource

Pros

Always something to do. Boredom is not part of my vocabulary here. Salary was above my expectations when hired. Nice bonus. Flexible hours. Telecommute options. Most coworkers are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Resourcing is horrible. Project deadlines unattainable. Excess work means working weekends, holidays and even having to cancel vacations. Project Managers and Senior Management become wicked mean when deadlines are not met. When projects do not meet deadlines, Senior Management begin pulling things out of their blame bags which includes: you did not work past 8 PM on a Friday, the vacation they so graciously allowed you to take should have motivated you to get the project done by deadline, you should have worked the holiday. Their list is endless and is used in resourcing meetings to declare their innocense of taking on such work. When any of this is mentioned in one on one meetings (meaning between yourself and Senior Management), they indicate they have no choice but to take the work even if it means it will not get done. It is an endless, vicious cycle of personel making utopian promises if just to impress the person requesting the work. They have resorted to micro-managing time by requesting work detail down to the hour. Were expected to report this in so many different places, you wonder if you need your own secretary. We have a spreadsheet we must update detailing our time allocated to the project, we have a timesheet we must complete containing hours worked, we have status reports to fill out to give to clueless upper management. This shows that they really do not have ahold of their processes. I appreciate it as a work in progress and hope they get their act together. Many have left the company or have been fired due to the resourcing issues.

I certainly hope you are aware of these issues and are committed to finding a balance between client satisfaction and realistic deadlines. Quality has been the companies greatest asset as of recent and that should be worked within the selling model along with increased time allocation. Most rational people can appreciate longer project timelines given the promise of quality.

There are newer employer reviews for United BioSource