There are newer employer reviews for United Biscuits

Commercial

I worked at United Biscuits full-time

Pros

Solid systems, good team, nice place to work

Cons

very process driven sometimes leading to slow decision making

reviews filtered by
  1. Focused mid sized company with big company ideas

Current Employee - Buyer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buyer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at United Biscuits full-time

Pros

Growing business. Wide latitude to do your job. Open and approachable management. Positively support and fund professional development.

Cons

Can be slow at making decisions. Little alignment across departments. Private equity ownership creates high barriers to approval on new opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be more nimble and brave. Get better alignment of departments on objectives to unlock opportunities. Empower your teams more and let them surprise you.

2. Well set for another growth period

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at United Biscuits full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This business has a new CEO in Martin Glenn who was previously very successful at both Birds Eye and Pepsico. The previous CEO Benoit Testard helped put the business back onto a growth footing but UB looks set for another exciting period of development. The business has been privately owned for 13 years now which has involved a lot of cost cutting and rationalisation. The plus side is that as a result there are shallower management structures and so with the right buy-in it is easier to get plans implemented. The business has some great brands that are household favourites and which provide protection against further recession. There is also a growing international footprint for thebusiness.

Cons

The private equity ownership means that a relatively short term view is taken of most major investment and ultimately you know the business will be owned by someone else. However ownership uncertainty has been around for the last ten years and people are used to it. The shareholders seem in no rush to sell and will look for the right buyer to maximise their returns - which also means that the buyer will have to be a good fit for the business

Advice to Management

Looking forward to the new business plan when it is announced by the new CEO. Our competitors are major global companies like Kraft/Mondelez who have more resources in terms of cash and people to fall back on. We will need to carefully target our efforts so that we are realistic about what can be achieved but make the most of the resources we have.

There are newer employer reviews for United Biscuits