Great

Current Employee - Program Cost Scheduling & Control Specialist IV  in  Vandenberg AFB, CA
Current Employee - Program Cost Scheduling & Control Specialist IV in Vandenberg AFB, CA

I have been working at United Launch Alliance

Pros

Get to work at the Launch Site. Operational environment. Minimum of politics you would find at a headquarters.

Cons

More favoritism to heritage Lockheed vs. Boeing. Company is more like an extension of Lockheed than a merger of Lockheed and Boeing. Limited vertical mobility at Launch sites.

Work on retaining personnel between 5 and 20 years. You can't do everything with all new college grads. You need to keep some of the old hands to teach the new guys. Layoffs have eliminated the younger more aggressive hourly personnel in favor of older less aggressive hourly workers who have the greatest seniority. More experienced expensive engineers have been cut while keeping the younger crowd. Now have bad combination of old techs and young engineers. Need more of a mix of hourly and salaried.

Other Reviews for United Launch Alliance

ULA provides a valuable service, but has serious problems.

Former Employee - Proposal Analyst  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Proposal Analyst in Centennial, CO

I worked at United Launch Alliance

Pros

- The knowledge that, at some level, the company IS doing valuable things
    - Fair compensation (salary and benefits)
    - Most everyone is friendly (or at least respectful)
    - Beautiful building in a wonderful city and state

Cons

The work in my department (cost estimating) was extremely redundant. I think that my department, as well as many other of the "business" departments need massive layoffs- perhaps even scrapping entire departments. First-level management is not interested in training the new hires, giving them consistent work or even acknowledging their existence in some cases (one guy I knew didn't have a desk on his first day and his manager forgot that he was starting then). The review process is a total joke- pretty much the equivalent of "grade inflation" in the post-college world. Of course, how can you be reviewed correctly if your manager doesn't know what you're doing? You can't blame them entirely, though; how are people supposed to manufacture work for you to do when, in complete truthfulness- there is absolutely NO REASON for you to be working there?

Bring in the "Bobs" and get lean(er). If I were a doctor for corporations, I would say ULA's body-mass-index is around 40, and they need to go on a strict diet of engineers (should be the base of their food pyramid) and part-time businesspeople. Cost estimators, finance analysts, etc.- USE SPARINGLY.

The Ex/Sr managment is making awful organizational decisions and are extremely scarred of potential SpaceX competition.

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer  in  Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Decatur, AL

I have been working at United Launch Alliance

Pros

The comaraderie of the people involved in the launch business. Even though we know that management is floundering we produce exceptionally unique and robust products to help support, protect, and maintain the US standard of living we all love.

Cons

Senior management needs to realize that the moral of the workforce is extremely poor at the moment. The poor management decisions are laughed about throughout the ranks and are not producing a cohesive workforce.

If you want to have any chance to complete with SpaceX you need to move Corporate offices, Engr, and alll other support groups to Decatur, AL. That will eliminate 60% of the dead weght in the company. Next you need to eliminate the kingdom hierarchy in Decatur.

There are newer employer reviews for United Launch Alliance.

Worked for United Launch Alliance? Contribute to the Community!