United Network for Organ Sharing
www.unos.org Richmond, VA 150 to 499 Employees

Good for your conscience, but not for your morale or pocket

QA Technology Manager (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

ProsThe mission is terrific - matching organ donors and recipients. Most of the people are really nice and caring. The company is very family-oriented. Work-life balance is strongly supported. The company tries really hard - sometimes too hard - not to fire people. When a layoff occurred - once in the 6 years that I was there, due to a re-organization - the company tried really hard to find jobs for those affected within the company and provided outplacement services. The benefits are surprisingly good for a non-profit, though the low pay makes it hard for all employees to fully participate.

ConsMost of the pay is comparable with that of other non-profits, but the pay for QA personnel is poor, even by non-profit standards. Company-wide, pay adjustments are based more on longetivity than on performance and responsibility. Professional development is not offered at all. There is no tuition reimbursement. There is no room for career growth. HR exists almost solely to process personnel transactions and resolve conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay of QA personnel to be comparable with other non-profits, at least. In some areas, such as IT, place more emphasis on functional knowledge than on clinical knowledge. Tie pay more to responsibility and performance and less to longetivity. Barely competent employees should not make more than their managers.

Identified effective practices to increase the number of transplanted donor organs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing

Pros: The work environment enabled me to succeed at both my career and personal goals. The people were great… Cons: At times, once I completed projects, it would take too long for IT to subsequently… Advice to Senior Management: I have strong organizational skills and like to think 'out… More

Great feeling of assisting others

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great work environment and talented peers, family friendly, Sense of doing… Cons: The only con is that the salary is not as competitive as other… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on United Network for Organ Sharing.

Worked for United Network for Organ Sharing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Network for Organ Sharing reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by United Network for Organ Sharing employees.