There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals

Busy, Busy, Busy never ending work...

Current Employee - Mechanical IV
Current Employee - Mechanical IV

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

#1 The benefits - full dental, eyes, medical 401k, paid vacations, six paid sick days, three floating (birthday, Anniversary DOH +1 more). Mediocre annual training. Fairly competitive pay.

Cons

Must own tools, inability to take vacation when company is busy (summer). No real opportunity for advancement, once you have a job it's hard to transfer to another location or level ie sales. Feel stuck, need to be "customer oriented" when dealing with ignorant users (read: Dumb people). Pay raises seem to be mere cost of living adjustments versus raise. Must have two sets of tools (you are a shop and road tech)

Maybe a program which allows technicians to rotate between branches. More regional town hall meetings so the lower techs can address some issues with management.

168 Other Employee Reviews for United Rentals (View Most Recent)

Certain locations need new management and employees

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer good pay with the option for overtime. Decent hours allows for a good work to life balance

Cons

Lack of training in certain stores for new employees. Several people with attitudes and some long term employees are very sneaky. I had thought I was in High School while working there.

Too big to fail.

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

Cons

URI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

We are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals