There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals

Busy, Busy, Busy never ending work...

Current Employee - Mechanical IV
Current Employee - Mechanical IV

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

#1 The benefits - full dental, eyes, medical 401k, paid vacations, six paid sick days, three floating (birthday, Anniversary DOH +1 more). Mediocre annual training. Fairly competitive pay.

Cons

Must own tools, inability to take vacation when company is busy (summer). No real opportunity for advancement, once you have a job it's hard to transfer to another location or level ie sales. Feel stuck, need to be "customer oriented" when dealing with ignorant users (read: Dumb people). Pay raises seem to be mere cost of living adjustments versus raise. Must have two sets of tools (you are a shop and road tech)

Maybe a program which allows technicians to rotate between branches. More regional town hall meetings so the lower techs can address some issues with management.

166 Other Employee Reviews for United Rentals (View Most Recent)

Too big to fail.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

Cons

URI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

We are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

Great if you like Micromanagement, Big Brother, Corporate CYOA games and general BS.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

>It's United Rentals, everyone knows them and there's a huge customer base.

>Decent pay and benefits.

>Lot's of $$$ to invest in equipment.

>Great systems like Total Control and their Apps that let customers off-rent equipment on their phone.

Cons

>Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear. Look at all the glowing reviews on here, that popped up all at the same time they bought NPC. It's pretty obvious they got some intern to write bogus things extolling the awesomeness of UR.

>Extremely Micromanaged, your phone's location (hence you) are tracked 24-a-day and the new vehicles come with a nanny system that alerts your boss if you're speeding.

>Their plan is to win by being United Rentals and buying up everyone else, rather than actually being better. All they seem to do is buy up high-performing companies (RSC, NPC, etc) then instill the UR Culture to ruin what made them so good. If your company gets bought out by them, polish off your resume, as things are going to change.

>Very corporate, CYOA environment where everything has to fit inside the box, rather than giving people flexibility to get the job done. You are constantly getting invited to pointless conference calls on safety, where it's just someone blabbering on about common-sense things, instead of having managers take ownership of their safety program. Also you'll wait forever to hire people, so you're only going to get people who aren't getting hired elsewhere. Finally, if there's a billing issue, good luck trying to get it resolved, as credits have to get approved by all kinds of people.

Stop being so corporate and leave companies that you've purchased alone. You bought them because they're successful, so why start monkeying around with them and driving off successful people? Also get rid off all the Big Brother stuff and learn to trust your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for United Rentals

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!