United Space Alliance

www.unitedspacealliance.com
  www.unitedspacealliance.com
There are newer employer reviews for United Space Alliance

Great Company - Work/life balance - Be a part of a remarkable piece of history!

Current Employee - Ops & Processing Staff II  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Ops & Processing Staff II in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Space Alliance

Pros

United Space Alliance is a dynamic place to work, in that it has so many different functions available. The prestige of working for a NASA contractor is certainly exciting!

Management is very good about work/life balance. We have the option of a flexible schedule - work your 40 hours in several different ways - Choose 8-5 schedule, 6-3 schedule, or do you want off 1 day a week? choose to work 4 10-hour days. These schedules are contingent upon the criticality of your job, and at your specific manager's discretion, but you see the point.

United Space Alliance is very focused on safety. Every meeting begins with a safety topic - and they may not necessarily be about the workplace, it could be about safety at home. The point is, that the USA culture focuses on safety in all aspects of your life, and it leaves you always subconsciously considering safe practices.

USA focuses a lot on training and cross-training. This is both for the employees' and company's benefit. They currently offer a generous educational reimbursement program, and encourage employees to cross-train in other areas to expand their expertise.

You have the option of very exciting opportunities if you look for them - attending and viewing the shuttle launch (until it retires), meeting interesting people, touring our's and NASA's incredible facilities, etc.

I have very much enjoyed being employed at USA.

Cons

The future of United Space Alliance is somewhat uncertain. The end of the space shuttle is upon us, and unfortunately, USA is going to severely suffer if they cannot get enough work on future contracts.

Employees can be rather complacent, because they know that even if they work harder, they won't see advancement. Promotions, pay increases, etc are mainly based on years of service and good performance appraisals/reviews. So, some employees do the minimum required tasks without reaching out for additional work. So, job growth is rather slow.

The pay is rather low as compared to other industries with the same or similar job title. Also, much of management is stuck on the same way things have been done in the past. So, any good innovative ideas are suppressed because it "might not work", or "that's not how it's done here".

This year, we were notified that all pay increases and promotions are postponed until further notice - yet, the company is trying to retain employees. Its better than not having a job of course, but many employees were promised a promotion for years now, only to be frozen.

Management is rather top-heavy. There are too many levels of management - some departments end up with a manager leading 5-6 people, which is simply unnecessary.

Management should consider some of the new innovative thinking - it has the potential to save a lot of time and money in the end.

Also, the award program is just a joke. It used to be a system of cash awards for a job well done ($10 "on-the-spot" gift certificates, $50, $250-$1000 quest awards). Now the company did away with cash awards, and implemented a "Quest Points" system. This is just silly in my opinion, and no one takes it seriously. You earn an average of 3,000 quest points for an award (perhaps an average of 1-2 awards per year for people that work very hard at their jobs). You spend your points on gifts from an online catalog. I believe 10,000 quest points equals a gift worth about a $50. Honestly, this program reminds me a lot of "Schrute Bucks" from the NBC show, "The Office".

Some managers play the political game. The policies clearly state certain rules (punishable up to and including termination). There have been some lower managers that clearly and obviously broken those rules, and everyone knew it. But, because they are friends with the higher level manager, they kept their job and were not reprimanded for it, it was brushed under the rug (even though others have lost their job for it).

177 Other Employee Reviews for United Space Alliance (View Most Recent)

Old fashioned government contractor

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I have been working at United Space Alliance

Pros

Great opportunity to grow. Work/life balance is very good. Benefits are the best available.

Cons

Old fashioned. Not very relevant in today's world.

Continue to evolve the company.

They are scared new people will take their jobs so stay FAR!!!

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I have been working at United Space Alliance

Pros

I get paid like everyone else to do VERY little and that is very neat sometimes when I am feeling lazy.

Cons

What a waste of time. Management not straightforward about anything at all, we are all left in the dark and some idiots around here treat new ppl like they have the plagues out of fear that we will be the last ones standing when the contract ends.

Just be honest and tell us all about the layoffs that are coming so that everyone will get the answers so that we stop wasting time talking about 'what ifs' all day long.

There are newer employer reviews for United Space Alliance

Worked for United Space Alliance? Contribute to the Community!