United States House of Representatives

There are newer employer reviews for United States House of Representatives

Underpaid

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at United States House of Representatives full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work is basically mindless and nothing is really that demanding. Lot of young people on the Hill. Great way to meet people.

Cons

Basically one of the lowest paying jobs out there. I could have made more as a tollbooth attendant. Can become very high stress at times having to deal with crazies calling in.

pay more

153 Other Employee Reviews for United States House of Representatives (View Most Recent)

In four years I rose swiftly into a policy role where my work had major impact on national initiatives.

Former Employee - Legislative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legislative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at United States House of Representatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting atmosphere, intellectually challenging, fast paced, important issues with national and international impact, exposure to a wide array of issue areas, great for networking, good chance of lateral movement to the private sector

Cons

Low pay, long hours, high turnaround, emotionally taxing, high demands, little room for error, little on the job training, rare help from management in professional development

Focus more on retention of staff. Institutional knowledge is a great asset that cannot be taught. Be careful on compensation level - if the divide is too large between upper and lower level employees it may breed complacency and high turnover.

Every Office is Different

Former Employee - Intern in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Tucson, AZ

I worked at United States House of Representatives as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere (I can only speak to our district office, as this varies dramatically between offices and members of Congress), fairly good benefits from what I hear, ability to make a difference in peoples lives, and looks great on a resume.

Cons

Can be very stressful, many employees are underpaid and overworked, constituents can be very hard to deal with at times.

none