United States Steel

www.ussteel.com

Wish I hadn't taken their job offer 4 years ago

Unsatisfied Member of Low-level Management (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros• Salary and benefits are very competitive.
• There are many hard-working, talented individuals you will work with (at least temporarily)

Cons• Management at this company is outdated and frequently filled with micro-managers. The exception may be Mario Longhi who is a relatively recent addition to the executive level and might move this company out of 1901 or 1970 (depends upon where you are in the vast reaches of the company)
• Poor Communication on all levels
• Terrible business processes and zero interest in reviewing or making changes
• They do not reward or promote based on talent- it's based on nepotism or becoming a favorite of someone already in management.
    o Also depending upon where you work in the corporation you can forget a promotion if you are female- there are currently two departments that have absolutely zero female members of management. There's a pool of female applicants that put to shame the males hired to replace management members that have left or been promoted. And management didn't listen to lower members of managment to reward some of these talented womend. One woman was even offered a position and had it taken away before anything was officially announced due to "the need to have additional applicants for review" (a well-connected guy from the plant with 0 experience in our particular focus was choosen over her for a management position).
• They are working on improving technology and remote work capabilities, however, like all things at this company it's at a snail's pace and poorly implemented.
• I could give a full dissertation on their inability to implement organizational change, but let it suffice to say they are incompetent at it, despite paying billions of dollars to consultants over the years to improve.
• The USS culture continually serves to tow the company line intended to make the current levels of mid and upper management look better than they are. Lord help you if you are very efficient, capable, have a number of degrees in your field and want tell the truth (nicely) about the problems facing the corporation in an earnest attempt to help improve it. You'll get your hand slapped faster than you can blink and once you are on someone's list you can forget about upward mobility.
• In regards to upward mobility- there isn't much currently and not likely to be for another 5-10 years.
• There’s a lot of inefficiency, and time-wasting tasks are commonplace in this environment
• There is relatively high turn-around for younger, talented workers, mainly because no one wants to stick around under the above conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementUSS is in desperate need of young talent and less management (at least at the corporate level).
Management levels in my area expanded rapidly despite zero need for them. Large portions of the management I've encountered are incompetent and/or outmoded.
This company needs to modernize, review its business processes and do it without their current lackluster approach to change.
I fear you will find USS falling far behind its competitors in the coming years with little decent talent base remaining to continue as a Steel giant if you don't make some serious changes.

Management is still in the 1800's

Process Associate (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Nice benefits, close to home. Cons: No room for advancement, salaries based on how long you've… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees, interact with them occassionally rather than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

General Review of U.S. Steel Texas Operations

Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Lone Star, TX

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than a year

Pros: Excellent benefits, and fairly competitve pay. Cons: Horrible scheduling. The most terrible scheduling of anyplace I've ever… Advice to Senior Management: Learn from otber companies, that a good schedule makes for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on United States Steel.

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!