Watch your feet

Current Employee - Systems Repair  in  Gary, IN
Current Employee - Systems Repair in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benifits and pay is reasonable. People who work there are great. Most coworkers are more than willing to help you out if you communicate well with them.

Cons

Management treats employees poorly. Poorly managed. Much waste with little accountability and too much emphasis on quantity and speed as apposed to quality and safety. A person can get in trouble for items left in personal vehicles in the parking lot so check your car often or else you will be in for an inquisition.

Don't use safety as a means of punishing employees, but as a tool to keep employees safe.

Other Reviews for United States Steel

treatment of retired managers

I have been working at United States Steel

Pros

Good salary but that is about all.

Cons

I would never take or recommend a managers position with US steel because when you retire from the company, you are treated like a second class citizen, no benefits of any kind.

you fail to realize that your biggest boasters were retired managers and by failing to provide benefits , you have lost that.

Worst place in the world to work not even if you are desperate

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Gary, IN

I worked at United States Steel full-time for less than a year

Pros

benefits are good but that is about all

Cons

These people control your life. I was in management and you had to sacrifice your life to get promoted. There were people that were promoted because they kissed butt and lived 90% of their life in the. Promotions only go to those people not whether you have experience or a degree. I have a master in electrical engineering and a Bachlors in physics and associate in accounting. They offered me peanuts to work there. I took it because job market was tough but I never stopped looking for a job. There were some people who gave their life for the mill to be promoted to the top. Really is it worth to give up your life. Once I read an article that someone was promoted because they were seen in the office in the mill on Sunday afternoons. How lame. I didn't play the game so of course I was not promoted or even reconized for my talents. Also you have live in a big house and smooch the other managers the ones that got there the same way. If you have a degree do not work here not even for the experience they degrade you, yell for no reason when you make a mistake, stab you in the back I feel that other people should know what I did not before going in there is more jobs out there than USX

Get a life. There is no life balance that makes a good employee and stop promoting people that have no experience and no education. I feel like any other company that your talent is reconized but not USX. There are no career opportunities for great employees. Have values and morals and treat people like human beings and not robots

There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel.

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!