There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel

A good place to begin a career a bad place to stay at one

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Fairfield, AL
Former Employee - Process Engineer in Fairfield, AL

I worked at United States Steel full-time for more than a year

Pros

--Pay and benefits- they are very good, will pay you for over 8 hrs if you are there long enough
-Vacation-3 weeks after 1 year
-The cool factor-The process of turning steel in to useful products is amazing
-The exposure to all of the different things you work one as an engineer-you gain tons of useful experience.
-As a mechanical engineer working in a steel plant is the best overall learning experience I ever had.

Cons

-The management does not develop managers, they just pass on bad management habits such as belittling employees, screaming in your face, do as I say, not as I do situations, and the list can go on
-Too much hurry up and wait-way too many just be here moments and watch rather than actually accomplishing anything
-Poor maintenance attitude, management does not maintain their equipment
-Working with the union-They have many very capable people, but have a lot of duds too
-A lot of hours required to really complete your job due to laziness on everyone else's part
-Too much emphasis on useless safety programs
-No career development
-Training outside of safety is non existant.
-Very strong "promote the one who get the boss coffee" not who is qualified

-Upgrade your corporate culture, a little goes a long way here
-Have a better maintenance attitude, if you take care of your equipment it will take care of you.
-Too many toxic leaders occupy your operations ranks,- you are creating managers that do not take responsiblity for their actions, just ones that defer blame.
-Unless you start to change your culture you will lose employees at an alarming rate, there is no more golden handcuffs (penison) to hold people there

144 Other Employee Reviews for United States Steel (View Most Recent)

Good Money, Good Benefits, Bad Management, Bad Atmosphere

Current Employee - Team Technician  in  Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Team Technician in Portage, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most jobs are well compensated, and the insurance benefits are good.

Cons

Employee morale at this company is abysmal. There are some good managers, but a majority of them are bad with people. The atmosphere is hostile with management over-disciplining employees and failing to train and man jobs in ways that eliminate needless overtime. Good employees are not rewarded for their service, and bad employees are left to become worse. Everyone in this company is stressed out, the managers yell at each other in meetings, the hourly workforce is subjected to unwanted overtime (that can be avoided), and a large majority of the workers seem to suffer from depressive symptoms. The theme seems to be "I hate my job, but the money is good, the economy is bad ... I have no choice but to deal with it"
    The situation is sad because this company is profitable despite its TERRIBLE culture. Imagine how much money could be made if managers actually managed ethically and productively, workers were better utilized to minimize stress-inducing, morale-defeating overtime, and everyone stopped pointing fingers and blaming each other for problems.
    I have worked at this company for over 20 years. I am saddened that I have to write such a poor review about a great and historical company with roots that trace back to the very beginnings of the Industrial Revolution, but this job has become and example of the type of job I preach to my kids to avoid at all costs.
    If all you need is income, you may be able to deal with this harsh environment. But I would recommend considering a lower salary from a better company so that 10 years down the road you are not stressed, depressed, regretful, and resentful.

Consider advancing experienced hourly people into management positions. Insist on ETHICAL treatment across the board. Stop the immature screaming and cussing that happens in management meetings ... REWARD managers who have GOOD relationships with their employees. Research and implement ideas to begin to OVERHAUL the negative culture that seems to permeate every corner of this company. And for God's sake, TRAIN AND UTILIZE the employees you have. Too much talent is wasted in this company.

Great company, mostly. Most issues are minor and can be avoided.

Former Employee - Senior Network Eng
    Former Employee - Senior Network Eng

I worked at United States Steel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and great benifits.

Cons

Issues dealing with Unions and contractors.

Stop the micky mouse crap and focus on taking care of your people.

There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel

Worked for United States Steel? Contribute to the Community!