United States Steel

Too much paperwork

Current Employee - Process Control Engineer in Gary, IN
Current Employee - Process Control Engineer in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel

Pros

The pros are all about compensation is pretty good, good benefits (eye, dental, healthcare), matching 401k, old pension plan. Hours are ok. No required overtime.

Cons

Way too much paperwork. How anyone in the BSC gets anything significant done is amazing. Hell 5 years ago someone would call for help and we would just get it done. Now it takes 3 hours of paperwork and approvals to even start working on things. Ridiculous! The old time mainframers in Pittsburgh have pushed down their archaic standards on everyone else. Get with the times people!

Dirty, filthy, unprofessional work environment. Clean the place up! I should come to work and be proud to work there, not ashamed of what a pit the place is. We can't even give us janitorial service on a consistent basis. Really?

This is 2010, not 1950. Run the company like you'd want it to be if you worked here. I think we need to clean house from top to bottom and get rid of the useless managers that are around. Promote people that do a good job, promote union workers who know what's going on. Stop the nepitism. Do not promote the uselss ones that you don't know what to do with. Fire incompetent people. Stop micro-managing everyone. If you give someone some responsibility, have some confidence in them to do things right. If not, why did you give them the extra responsibility? The company really has a lot of talented people that put in a lot of effort. Let's start rewarding those people.

Finally, clean the place up. Pave the damn roads in the plant. Just because it's a steel mill doesn't mean everything has to be falling apart and filthy.

155 Other Employee Reviews for United States Steel (View Most Recent)

Co-op

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at United States Steel

Pros

pretty good pay
    fun to work at
    get to interact with lots of people
    food is good at mngt lunch
    pay for housing

Cons

hours were not good
    sometimes can get boring if not given any work to do
    too many boring meetings even for interns

have more structure and better leadership throughout the company
    the areas have good communication but should communicate with other areas too

Ok place to work

I have been working at United States Steel

Pros

Benefits and pay are good. The hours are a little untolerable, but if you can deal with that the pay is worth it

Cons

Management is horrible. They treat workers with disrespect and there is a constant fear of losing your job, this is also due to the industry.

Please start to implement new age business practices. Carnegie ran the company a long time ago and it's time to get into the 21st century.

There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel