United Stationers

There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

Company Going Down Hill!

Current Employee - Customer Care in Suwanee, GA
Current Employee - Customer Care in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and vacation/pto. Discount with Att&t or Verizon. In Suwanee, GA, Gwinnett County.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they are doing, all about service level, could care less about dealers/ customers as long as they make their goals. Understaffed since high turnover rate. Company is struggling to compete with prices with competitors. Used to be a fun place to work, NO where to move, no growth at all. Very easy job taking orders and returns.

Make it a fun place to work, value your employees! Customer care reps are who drive this company! Make them happy, don't stress them out. United should be like Zappos! Not a funeral home! Don't up prices in a middle of a quarter. Dealers are not stupid. Appreciate your employees.

60 Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers (View Most Recent)

Welcome to the 80's

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at United Stationers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Telecommuting only in some departments, decent benefits, good senior leadership, great volunteer opportunities, good associate network groups.

Cons

Several employees are living in the past and have a childish mentality that includes telling on people. Change is a word that scares most...but not all departments are bad. Everything new is really from about 5-10 years ago.

I don't know how some people are managers or directors...just because they have been there for about 20 years and used to be the most knowledgeable a long time ago. There are people who don't know how to use great programs like excel or even laptops (wow). Definitely not the best place for young people to work at.

There are 2 different companies - United Stationers has more departments which people are miserable in. Lagasse seems more friendly and open to new ideas....has a younger crowd which definitely helps.

If you try to apply for a job in a fueding department, they probably won't hire you because of your background. There are also too many new people in some departments that have no idea what they are doing.

Layoffs aren't always a bad thing. I couldn't ever be promoted in my dept unless I waited 10+ years. It would really be beneficial to find out how employees feel and do a massive clean up. There are a lot of people who are going to hit retirement...and in order to get fresh new talent, you need to make sure changes. It is a pretty good company but there's a few departments that are ruining the image.

Good pay... to be treated like an expendable worker ant

Former Employee - Order Picker (Shelf) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Order Picker (Shelf) in Denver, CO

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

The pay and benefits were actually really good for a warehouse position. Much better than most other warehouse positions out there.

Cons

You're treated as though you're nothing better than a worker ant. You're looked down upon by certain superiors. They do a good job of feigning respect for you, but in actuality they care very little about you. There is one person in upper management at the Denver facility that is an extremely nice guy and I would have loved to work for him. I interviewed with him as opposed to my direct manager, and therefor was fooled because my direct superior turned out to be terrible.

As an example of no concern for you: I was hospitalized on a Sunday with an injury sustained outside of work. I get back to work on wednesday after recovering and find that I'm being written up for not giving 24 hours notice for missing work; Even though a call was placed to my manager ASAP after getting out of the hospital on sunday. I understand that the policy of 24-hour notice is put into place so that people don't abuse sick days and leave everyone else shorthanded that day, but when I'm in the hospital, with a semi-serious injury, to show no leniency or even concern for my health what-so-ever is just poor managing. They don't seem to grasp the concept that a happy worker is a productive worker.

They give you "check-marks" on your record for various infractions. If you get something like 6 check-marks on your record, you're terminated. They also give you somewhere around 6 sick days, but because of the "24-hour notice for missing work" policy, you are given a check mark whenever you actually use them for the intended purpose of calling off when you wake up with a 102 degree fever. You do the math!

I showed about as much interest in advancing within the company as i possibly could. i volunteered to learn every position possible within the company, yet this was very rarely acknowledged. I stayed late to help finish work a few times, yet was rarely acknowledge with so much as a half-hearted "thank you." After that, i just stopped volunteering for it because it obviously wasn't appreciated. The second the clock hit the end of my shift, I was out of there. I'm not going to help you if you don't appreciate me!

Thinking back about it now, most of this review is actually centered around the manager of my department. He wasn't an evil or mean or terrible person or anything like that, he just really doesn't know how to be a manager. He just needs some training. I sometimes worked in other departments and the managers were reasonable, from the little I was exposed to with them. So I don't know that this company is a terrible company to work for, so much as this one department is.

My advice to the upper management would be to make sure that the people you promote to manager are truly management material. I would suggest some sort of training for it as opposed to just putting someone in there that has never even been a lead, yet alone a manager.

There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers