United Stationers
www.unitedstationers.com Deerfield, IL 5000+ Employees

Tsk, tsk.

A Title is a Lose Term @ United (Former Employee)
Orchard Park, NY

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey employee about 5,000 people. They have an excellent dedication to the community.

ConsCheap. Cheap with pay increases -not even the rate of inflation, benefits are less and less each year. Got rid of retirement plans. Moved to a PTO system rather than just plain old vacation/sick/personal time. They set unrealistic financial goals as an excuse for their frugal ways while still being able to look good to shareholders. They pride themselves on being a Fortune 500 company but consistantly are at the bottom of the list. United certainly is not a leader in the industry nor as employers. Systems are completely outdated and cumbersome. Not just for the employees, but for the poor customers trying to navigate! Respect levels towards hourly employees are little to none. They are treated as if they should be lucky to have jobs when in reality they drive this company and should be viewed and treated as valuable. It seems the less intelligent you are, the quicker you are able to move up the corporate ladder. Maybe that is because you are then more of a "bot"? (most of management won't even know what that means) I would bet my life all the really good ideas, processes and procedures came from hourly employees. But managers are not too dumb to take credit! Another reviewer stated the management feigns concern, and I believe that is true. It's as if they take classess because they all use the same mannerisms and verbiage. I guess the more apt you are to brown nose, be a superior's pet, whatever you want to call it, the more you can get away with and the less you need to be productive. Every company has cons. And it's just my opinion this one has more than the average.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money! Get with this century. Take the lead, stop being followers. You have subpar service), subpar systems, subpar attitudes, subpar intelligence. Strive to be the best of the best. Learn how to spell, speak and act like professionals. Meh, I could go on but honestly, I don't care and you probably have some makeup to put on, or food to eat, a golf date to make or a text to send.

Welcome to the 80's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Deerfield, IL

I worked at United Stationers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Telecommuting only in some departments, decent benefits, good senior leadership,… Cons: Several employees are living in the past and have a childish mentality that includes telling on people. Change is a word that scares most...but… Advice to Senior Management: Layoffs aren't always a bad thing. I couldn't ever be promoted in my dept unless I waited 10+ years. It would really be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Company Going Down Hill!

Customer Care (Current Employee)
Suwanee, GA

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Decent pay and vacation/pto. Discount with Att&t or Verizon. In… Cons: Management doesn't know what they are doing, all about service level, could care less about dealers/ customers as long as they make their goals. Understaffed… Advice to Senior Management: Make it a fun place to work, value your employees! Customer care reps are who drive this company! Make them happy, don't stress them out.… More

There are newer reviews on United Stationers.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Stationers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Stationers CEO P. Cody Phipps. All reviews posted anonymously by United Stationers employees.