Company just okay

Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate in Deerfield, IL
Current Employee - Channel Marketing Associate in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, PTO is convenient, 401k is okay. They are finally investing some resources internally, but at the expense of letting others go. So we're expected to do more with less which I understand, but when we start sacrificing customer service, that is a problem.

Cons

Can't work from home, limited internal advancement. Making investments internally but not always investing in the right way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! The working world is changing. You need to adapt and let us be more flexible so you can retain us longer.

Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers

not the best but not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Ops Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Ops Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the pay's not bad, you get some vacation but wont be able to use it due to cutbacks with people.

Cons

no work life balance. And H/R is out of control at this company. I always thought H/R is there to help you, not at this company. The H/R dept. is dishonest and will lie to you.

Advice to Management

Please practice what you preach on the cultures and values.

Good company, takes care of employees, but dont expect to make a transfer internally.

Current Employee - Manager in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Telecommute in some departments -Flexible work arrangements -Good crowd of folks -CEO isnt holed up in his office- very down to earth. -Reviews & promotions are fair -Room for negotitation when made offer (external)

Cons

-They take forever and a day to make a hiring decision. And if your internal, they just might not get back to you at all. When I came onboard, it was a full month before they decided to hire me. Internally, on the other hand, there are issues everywhere. HR will keep giving you the "Ill follow up" line, when they could just ease your worries and send you an email stating you didnt make the cut. Even longer wait for answers than if you applied externally. My take- yes, the company/culture is GREAT, but if you intend on progressing to a different department entirely, you might run into a snag.

Advice to Management

Keep your people informed, or you might lose some valuable talent that can quickly be picked up by another Fortune 500 company...There are 1000's of them. :)