There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

HR Nightmares Everywhere

Current Employee - Account Manager
Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros

The leader in their Industry with really only one major nationwide competitor
Good pay and benefits
Reasonable sales expectations
Treated us very well when traveling for meetings

Cons

Very much a boys club
An old group of buddies that seem to run everything. Very hard to fit in.
There are potential HR issues everywhere

Watch out, anyone with basic human resources knowledge would see some major potential problems at particular locations. Some people really need to be reigned in.

59 Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers (View Most Recent)

Project Management

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, People, and Empowerment
    The culture is not stuffy as long as you are a doer. You have to be your best champion and you can't be waiting for things to happen. People are energized. Most are very knowledgable and willing to step up to almost every opportunity even when they have no stake in the outcome. As a project manager you are expected to lead and drive the project. Very little micro-management as long as you control your budget and explain your actions. The end results should be desired results.

Cons

No clear grow path. Benefits are good but not great Sometimes leadership is old school on the modern worker needs and environment. No flexibility in working arrangements.

Better advancement and growth opportunities. Success should be recognized and rewarded from within the organization.

Ok in between job

Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Distribution Associate I in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at United Stationers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting paid every week! Getting paid every week!! Getting paid every week!!! It's an ok job. Nothing to brag about. If your're looking for something to pay the bills this is the job. Nothing more. Just keep to yourself and you'll be fine.

Cons

Management is very unfriendly. There is no orientation when you get hired, If you have a question about policy, their response is to "refer to the employee handbook" which makes me think that they don't know the policies... There's no HR in the building. If you need to talk to HR you would need to call. My boss dropped the "F" bomb my first day. Very unprofessional. Management barking and yelling at employees. Management discussing personal issues between team members... I pray that I don't have a personal issue I need to discuss with my boss because the whole warehouse will know about it.

YOU ALL NEED MANAGEMENT TRAINING!!!

There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers