United Stationers
www.unitedstationers.com Deerfield, IL 5000+ Employees

Maybe the best big Company you've never heard of. If you give it a try, you're likely to stay a while.

Director of Finance (Current Employee)
Deerfield, IL

ProsUnited is a large company with a small company feel. The atmosphere is very friendly and down to earth with all levels of management, all the way to the CEO, being very approachable. You really get the feeling that your opinions count. We have a strong management team and are poised for a great future. The company has a history of promoting from within, both within the same functional group as well as cross-functionally. Being a company with locations througout the United States, opportunities exist across the country. United also does a great job of promoting work / life balance by providing flexible schedule and work hour options. The company is very proud of the fact that when people join the organization, they tend to stick arounds awhile. United is also about community and giving back. The company is an active support of such charities as The City of Hope and Habitat for Humanity.

ConsBeing a wholesale distributor of business products, United Stationers is not in a very glamorous industry of industry segment. In fact, it is a company that very few people outside of the industry have ever even heard of until they apply for a job. Because of the very thin margin business, salaries and benefits while competetive are also pretty average. The corporate headquarters moved to a very nice building in Deerfield, Illinois about twree years ago. However, the location resulted in extreme increases in commute times (50% or more) for virtually everyone not living in a 5 mile radius of the office. Since the building is located in the middle of a pretty high rent district, not too many associates fall into that category.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell senior management to continue to focus on the future and change. Our business environment is changing quickly and we need to continue to be ahead of the competition to remain successful. Do this to avoid the pitfalls of being short-sighted and reactionary which tends to result in making decisions and taking actions that seem good at the time, but hurt the organization in the long run.

ok company, but uppers need to change

Lead (Current Employee)
    Ust'-Usa, Krasnoyarskiy Kray (Russia)

I have been working at United Stationers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: decent pay, pto time and benefits Cons: they don't do much for promoting from with in and the people they hire from outside think… Advice to Senior Management: hire from within and stop hiring super people who only care… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good work-life balance

I have been working at United Stationers

Pros: Management and peers are accommodating to your personal needs and… Cons: Various computer and database systems at USI could be more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on United Stationers.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Stationers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Stationers CEO P. Cody Phipps. All reviews posted anonymously by United Stationers employees.