United Stationers

www.unitedstationers.com
  www.unitedstationers.com
There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers

Good pay... to be treated like an expendable worker ant

Former Employee - Order Picker (Shelf) in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Order Picker (Shelf) in Denver, CO

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

The pay and benefits were actually really good for a warehouse position. Much better than most other warehouse positions out there.

Cons

You're treated as though you're nothing better than a worker ant. You're looked down upon by certain superiors. They do a good job of feigning respect for you, but in actuality they care very little about you. There is one person in upper management at the Denver facility that is an extremely nice guy and I would have loved to work for him. I interviewed with him as opposed to my direct manager, and therefor was fooled because my direct superior turned out to be terrible.

As an example of no concern for you: I was hospitalized on a Sunday with an injury sustained outside of work. I get back to work on wednesday after recovering and find that I'm being written up for not giving 24 hours notice for missing work; Even though a call was placed to my manager ASAP after getting out of the hospital on sunday. I understand that the policy of 24-hour notice is put into place so that people don't abuse sick days and leave everyone else shorthanded that day, but when I'm in the hospital, with a semi-serious injury, to show no leniency or even concern for my health what-so-ever is just poor managing. They don't seem to grasp the concept that a happy worker is a productive worker.

They give you "check-marks" on your record for various infractions. If you get something like 6 check-marks on your record, you're terminated. They also give you somewhere around 6 sick days, but because of the "24-hour notice for missing work" policy, you are given a check mark whenever you actually use them for the intended purpose of calling off when you wake up with a 102 degree fever. You do the math!

I showed about as much interest in advancing within the company as i possibly could. i volunteered to learn every position possible within the company, yet this was very rarely acknowledged. I stayed late to help finish work a few times, yet was rarely acknowledge with so much as a half-hearted "thank you." After that, i just stopped volunteering for it because it obviously wasn't appreciated. The second the clock hit the end of my shift, I was out of there. I'm not going to help you if you don't appreciate me!

Thinking back about it now, most of this review is actually centered around the manager of my department. He wasn't an evil or mean or terrible person or anything like that, he just really doesn't know how to be a manager. He just needs some training. I sometimes worked in other departments and the managers were reasonable, from the little I was exposed to with them. So I don't know that this company is a terrible company to work for, so much as this one department is.

My advice to the upper management would be to make sure that the people you promote to manager are truly management material. I would suggest some sort of training for it as opposed to just putting someone in there that has never even been a lead, yet alone a manager.

62 Other Employee Reviews for United Stationers (View Most Recent)

One review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

their involvement in the community

Cons

poor work-life balance and disrespect between associates ignored by management

It is important that associates feel repected in the workplace.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at United Stationers

Pros

Good environment. Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

General manager was hard to work with in that facility. Other facility's are good though. He just doesn't know what he's doing.

Don't let GOM's run building that don't know what they are talking about.

There are newer employer reviews for United Stationers