United Stationers
www.unitedstationers.com Deerfield, IL 5000+ Employees

Good pay... to be treated like an expendable worker ant

Order Picker (Shelf) (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at United Stationers

ProsThe pay and benefits were actually really good for a warehouse position. Much better than most other warehouse positions out there.

ConsYou're treated as though you're nothing better than a worker ant. You're looked down upon by certain superiors. They do a good job of feigning respect for you, but in actuality they care very little about you. There is one person in upper management at the Denver facility that is an extremely nice guy and I would have loved to work for him. I interviewed with him as opposed to my direct manager, and therefor was fooled because my direct superior turned out to be terrible.

As an example of no concern for you: I was hospitalized on a Sunday with an injury sustained outside of work. I get back to work on wednesday after recovering and find that I'm being written up for not giving 24 hours notice for missing work; Even though a call was placed to my manager ASAP after getting out of the hospital on sunday. I understand that the policy of 24-hour notice is put into place so that people don't abuse sick days and leave everyone else shorthanded that day, but when I'm in the hospital, with a semi-serious injury, to show no leniency or even concern for my health what-so-ever is just poor managing. They don't seem to grasp the concept that a happy worker is a productive worker.

They give you "check-marks" on your record for various infractions. If you get something like 6 check-marks on your record, you're terminated. They also give you somewhere around 6 sick days, but because of the "24-hour notice for missing work" policy, you are given a check mark whenever you actually use them for the intended purpose of calling off when you wake up with a 102 degree fever. You do the math!

I showed about as much interest in advancing within the company as i possibly could. i volunteered to learn every position possible within the company, yet this was very rarely acknowledged. I stayed late to help finish work a few times, yet was rarely acknowledge with so much as a half-hearted "thank you." After that, i just stopped volunteering for it because it obviously wasn't appreciated. The second the clock hit the end of my shift, I was out of there. I'm not going to help you if you don't appreciate me!

Thinking back about it now, most of this review is actually centered around the manager of my department. He wasn't an evil or mean or terrible person or anything like that, he just really doesn't know how to be a manager. He just needs some training. I sometimes worked in other departments and the managers were reasonable, from the little I was exposed to with them. So I don't know that this company is a terrible company to work for, so much as this one department is.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the upper management would be to make sure that the people you promote to manager are truly management material. I would suggest some sort of training for it as opposed to just putting someone in there that has never even been a lead, yet alone a manager.

One review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
City of Industry, CA

I worked at United Stationers

Pros: their involvement in the community Cons: poor work-life balance and disrespect between associates ignored by management Advice to Senior Management: It is important that associates feel repected in the workplace. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good place to work.

Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at United Stationers

Pros: Good environment. Good pay. Good benefits. Cons: General manager was hard to work with in that facility. Other… Advice to Senior Management: Don't let GOM's run building that don't know what… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on United Stationers.

Worked for United Stationers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Stationers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Stationers CEO P. Cody Phipps. All reviews posted anonymously by United Stationers employees.