Great Place to Learn

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Great benefits. Very knowledgeable and hard working people.

Cons

It was a bit too corporate. As an intern, I felt belittled at times

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Average conglomerate

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UTC is a strong company with a well managed portfolio. They have one of the best educational reimbursement programs in the world, which can be a big draw for someone looking to enhance skills. They have reasonably comprehensive benefits. UTC's ACE is a good, middle of the road continuous improvement system that keeps technical performance solid. The company has a pretty good balance in integrating new acquisitions, imposing a few "best practices" like ACE, but letting the companies run themselves for the most part. UTC has a very strong corporate ethics program.

Cons

As a publicly traded company, the emphasis is relentlessly on shareholder return. That means strategy and innovation always takes a back seat to quarterly earnings. Long cycle time business opportunities are all but lost. This can be a major shock to acquired companies which have aggressively invested and taken some risks to create a business, only to discover that their days of expanding their business through investment and flexibility are essentially over. Risk averse is an understatement.
    Compensation is middle of the road. We don't "hire the best because we want to be the best". We hire the average, and hope our best practices level the playing field.

Advice to Management

Push back on Wall Street and the corporate office a little more. Don't let UTC's corporate culture invade your successful company. Find a way to take the good best practices without becoming a clone. Fight to keep your truly exceptional innovators and behave like a startup. Use your discretion, and ask forgiveness later rather than falling into the "mother may I?" gravity well of corporate life.

Confusing Decisions/Directions now that UTC is running the show

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Good benefits in terms of sick time and culture.
    - Good schooling benefits
    - Work life balance is good

Cons

- No communication
    - Pay is average
    - No direction from Management
    - Broken processes
    - Low morale
    - Bonus structure isn't great, payouts are poor
    - Many managers, no leaders. Very focused on bottom line, no eyes on the horizon
    - Many managers have no manufacturing experience, They love data, which I do as well, but they don't do much with it.
    - Technical people aren't valued as much, managers seem more valued (perception)
    - Always changing direction
    - The vision is 15% earnings growth, and it ends there. so I ask, How are we going to do it? What are the plans, what are our core competencies? What is being outsourced? What equipment are we buying? What are we getting rid of?
    - Very old equipment
    - No training job training, skills enhancing.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your butt. Understand the current situation, fix the problems, redo bad processes, stop looking at the bottom line the whole time and start looking at the big picture. Stop chasing dimes with dollars when dollars can be saved with redoing major processes.

It seems to me that they try to force things through the processes because the processes are horrid. Bad processes encourage people to go around them or figure out ways to not go through them, like changing procedures for bad prints because the eco process takes months to get through. Fix the bad processes so people won't have to think around them. Also, don't flow down processes and force people to adhere to them when they don't exist or when no training is done on how to perform them. Train people on SAP, FIX SAP, train people on how to do their job. The quality of a product comes from the design, people, equipment, you have old equipment, no training of the people, and the designs are very old. I fail to see how you can improve the quality of the product strictly through minor changes in procedural changes. Figure out the core compentencies, develop them, buy equipment for them, train the people on how to use the equipment, advance the processes for those, and design for the use of your core compentencies, design out the stuff you don't want to use.