There are newer employer reviews for United Technologies

Great Place to Learn

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Great benefits. Very knowledgeable and hard working people.

Cons

It was a bit too corporate. As an intern, I felt belittled at times

reviews filtered by

Average conglomerate

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

UTC is a strong company with a well managed portfolio. They have one of the best educational reimbursement programs in the world, which can be a big draw for someone looking to enhance skills. They have reasonably comprehensive benefits. UTC's ACE is a good, middle of the road continuous improvement system that keeps technical performance solid. The company has a pretty good balance in integrating new acquisitions, imposing a few "best practices" like ACE, but letting the companies run themselves for the most part. UTC has a very strong corporate ethics program.

Cons

As a publicly traded company, the emphasis is relentlessly on shareholder return. That means strategy and innovation always takes a back seat to quarterly earnings. Long cycle time business opportunities are all but lost. This can be a major shock to acquired companies which have aggressively invested and taken some risks to create a business, only to discover that their days of expanding their business through investment and flexibility are essentially over. Risk averse is an understatement.
    Compensation is middle of the road. We don't "hire the best because we want to be the best". We hire the average, and hope our best practices level the playing field.

Push back on Wall Street and the corporate office a little more. Don't let UTC's corporate culture invade your successful company. Find a way to take the good best practices without becoming a clone. Fight to keep your truly exceptional innovators and behave like a startup. Use your discretion, and ask forgiveness later rather than falling into the "mother may I?" gravity well of corporate life.

Jobs Outsourcing - Facility Closing

Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in San Diego, CA

I worked at United Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training for a future job...somewhere else.

Cons

Too bad Corporate America and Washington outsourced yet another aerospace company outside the USA.

What goes around comes around. You will be next to be replaced by a foreigner. Unlike politicians we cannot vote you out. You should be ashamed. Believe in America and keep the jobs in the USA.

There are newer employer reviews for United Technologies