There are newer employer reviews for United Way

Pleasant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oxford, AL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, AL

I have been working at United Way

Pros

Doing work for good of others

Cons

Fast paced and very busy

202 Other Employee Reviews for United Way (View Most Recent)

Overall I am in the middle about UW. I learned a lot professionally but could not move laterally in 3 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Way

Pros

There are many professional development opportunities. Classes, conferences, workshops etc.
    Also, the benefits are very good, especially for a non-profit.

Cons

There is not much room for lateral growth. There is a very high turnover rate, especially in the fundraising department where I worked. Senior management seemed extremely incompetent and when a Senior Manager is hired who is competent, the board runs them away. The board can't seem to transition into the new era of philanthropy and workplace giving. Therefore, they tend to make decisions and often tie the hands of Senior management. It's frustrating to say the least but there are some really great people that work there.

Get rid of the entire board and replace them with a new fresh, diverse group of people. Also be way more transparent with the employees. Earn the trust and respect of your employees back.

Don't work here if you want to eventually make good money.

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Columbus, GA

I worked at United Way

Pros

Normal hours. Relaxed environment. Staff celebrations.

Cons

The pay is terrible. The only way to ever make good money is to become a CEO of a local UW. Our CEO makes over $120,000, while some employees are barely at the poverty level. The VPs make pretty well, but there is still a very large gap. You MIGHT get a small pay increase each year, but it's never enough to make a difference. I have a college degree, but I was paid like I didn't have one. Employees at the bottom do all of the work. Employees are overworked, especially the fundraising department. All United Ways are different, but if you want to eventually make good money, this isn't the place to work. United Way does good work, but you can always volunteer. I need to pay my bills and I couldn't deal with it for very long.

Please take into consideration what you pay employees, especially the ones that have college degrees (with debt). You will continue to have a high turnover if you do not fix this problem.

There are newer employer reviews for United Way

Worked for United Way? Contribute to the Community!