United Way

www.liveunited.org
  www.liveunited.org
There are newer employer reviews for United Way

Give. Advocate. Vounteer. Be United in your community through United Way.

Current Employee - Executive Director in Manhattan, KS
Current Employee - Executive Director in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at United Way

Pros

Community involvement and leadership. Working for United Way is a very visual position - everyone knows who you are. Which of course can be good (networking and career advancement) and bad (you can't run to the grocery store in your sweat pants at 11:00 at night). As long as you maintain a high quality work product you are in good shape. Unfortunately past impressions of a weak board and weak leadership has caused some individuals in the community to withdraw their financial support, so a lot of what I am doing is re-relationship building, which fortunately is something at which I am accomplished.

Cons

No health insurance, no 401K. It really stinks that an organization that prides itself on "providing for those in need" doesn't provide for its own employees. In my organization's defense - we are very small. There has been some rumor of consolidation and regionalizing over the next 10 years. If that does happen, then the number of paid employees will increase and the organization might then be able to offer a benefits package.
Another downside, and this may have been because of poor previous management, is the lack of resources and lack of vision. When I got here the newest computer in the office was 10 years old. 10!!!!!! And no technology budget in sight.

There needs to be more board involvement. The publically seen activities of the board members are just as important as the activities of the staff. I have a lot of board members who like to be "in the know not in the do". I believe we need to cultivate the expectation that all board members are active participants in all fundraising activities.

216 Other Employee Reviews for United Way (View Most Recent)

TAMPA BAY UNITED WAY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at United Way

Pros

An effort to improve the quality of life for people with special needs.

Cons

Poor senior leadership, easily diverted from primary goals. The organization spends too much time with internal projects and not enough time getting out and doing things in the community.

No need for executive vice president position, need experienced CEO with more dynamic personality. Let your managers do their jobs with less interference by EVP. Too many egos need to be checked at the door.

Working at United Way provides rewards that exceed compensation.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at United Way

Pros

United Way provides a great work environment. The people are professional and engaged, and the benefits very good for a non-profit organization. The mission and goals, to make lasting change in the lives of people, provide a reward beyond the compensation.

Cons

Past situations that have cast negative light on United Way, primarily due to actions of individuals, create an unfavorable perception by some members of the public with whom we are trying to work. Because this is a non-profit, and working to keep overhead costs at a minimum, most employees could likely earn more working in the corporate sector.

Keep the lines of communication open to employees and continue to utilize staff as a resource for helping to set and implement strategic plans. There are decades of management, marketing and fundraising experience presenet in the rank and file that can help make the best decisions for the future of our organization, and the people we are working to serve.

There are newer employer reviews for United Way