There are newer employer reviews for United Way

Give. Advocate. Vounteer. Be United in your community through United Way.

Current Employee - Executive Director in Manhattan, KS
Current Employee - Executive Director in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at United Way

Pros

Community involvement and leadership. Working for United Way is a very visual position - everyone knows who you are. Which of course can be good (networking and career advancement) and bad (you can't run to the grocery store in your sweat pants at 11:00 at night). As long as you maintain a high quality work product you are in good shape. Unfortunately past impressions of a weak board and weak leadership has caused some individuals in the community to withdraw their financial support, so a lot of what I am doing is re-relationship building, which fortunately is something at which I am accomplished.

Cons

No health insurance, no 401K. It really stinks that an organization that prides itself on "providing for those in need" doesn't provide for its own employees. In my organization's defense - we are very small. There has been some rumor of consolidation and regionalizing over the next 10 years. If that does happen, then the number of paid employees will increase and the organization might then be able to offer a benefits package. Another downside, and this may have been because of poor previous management, is the lack of resources and lack of vision. When I got here the newest computer in the office was 10 years old. 10!!!!!! And no technology budget in sight.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more board involvement. The publically seen activities of the board members are just as important as the activities of the staff. I have a lot of board members who like to be "in the know not in the do". I believe we need to cultivate the expectation that all board members are active participants in all fundraising activities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. TAMPA BAY UNITED WAY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at United Way

Pros

An effort to improve the quality of life for people with special needs.

Cons

Poor senior leadership, easily diverted from primary goals. The organization spends too much time with internal projects and not enough time getting out and doing things in the community.

Advice to Management

No need for executive vice president position, need experienced CEO with more dynamic personality. Let your managers do their jobs with less interference by EVP. Too many egos need to be checked at the door.

2. a great place to work if you can keep up with the rapid pace

Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at United Way

Pros

treats employees with respect, shows appreciation by recognizing their accomplishments, keeps them 'in the loop' with regard to company activities, employees have a sense of being a part of something bigger than themselves

Cons

discourages telecommuting, long hours, health insurance coverage could be more extensive, fitness center could be better

Advice to Management

continue what you are doing, good job!