UnitedHealth Group

www.unitedhealthgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Be prepared to hit the ground running

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

You have to quickly learn how to navigate through the organization's processes, and not to rely solely on your manager to set you up when you get on board (e.g. log in access to certain accounts, etc). So far my on-boarding has been better compared to my previous employers, where sometimes it takes a couple weeks just to get your workstation set-up and you have to pretty much stare into space during your first week of work because you don't have a computer. In my experience with UHG, my hiring manager pretty much had my basic workstation ready for use right on my first day.

On-boarding process is pretty easy, as you simply get access to a new hire website and it outlines what you need to do within the 1st week, month, and 90 days from your start date. I am pretty particular with that because it's the first few days of work that you typically have to do piles of paperwork and it's easy to miss something, plus I am not a fan of spending time faxing stuff out to HR. Most of the HR stuff is done online.

As far as being a new hire, it has been great, but you really should be able to hit the ground running, as they pretty much throw you in the middle of a project with little or no information at all, and you have to be proactive with a lot of things to keep up. I'm lucky I got a grasp on things when I got pulled into a project. There's still management engagement, and they provide whatever support they can give you (no micromanagement).

Dress codes range from business attire (suit & tie) to somewhat lower (collar, sleeves, slacks). Since I wasn't oriented with that I typically just assess what other people are wearing in the building and decide which is too casual. Definitely not a shirt-and-jeans environment. This is just for their main building, I guess because the executives reside there. It seems that for the other buildings, it's pretty laid-back. They don't have dress code marshals running around, though, so as far as I know as long as you look presentable, you're not going to be in trouble.

The have a high variety of the age range of the employees, which I like. And they are willing to hang out. I have had jobs where it's pretty much go-to-work-and-go-home type, as most of my teammates just up and leave when it hits end of workday for the most part. Here they have times where you either go for a happy hour with the team someplace nearby, or have lunch in a conference room just to chat - even for just an hour. And that's even when they're extremely busy. I appreciate that in the workplace - it makes me feel like I'm part of the team even if I am a newbie. And that motivates me to go to work everyday. They are pretty good at considering your time at work - they don't just throw meeting schedules on your calendar over lunch hours without checking with you.

It's too early yet to determine how the promotion/performance ratings are being done, so I'll leave that out for the next update.

Cons

Cons are pretty superficial but I'm putting them here anyway...

Their buildings are pretty scattered - I came in a period where hundreds of constructions are going on in the area, so it is crazy trying to navigate between buildings when you have to (they do have an inter-office shuttle service, but still). Hopefully they'll start consolidating their departments into one building so it's easier. Plus, the main building's cafeteria is so much better.

It's not totally a Con, but it's pretty interesting that they don't really orient you firsthand on the dress-code policy, and other house-rules. I don't really care much for having these but I typically had to undergo some orientation about the dress-codes and stuff on my first day. The only orientation they have is more on the employee benefits, important company websites, information management/security policies, sexual harrassment, and insider trading.

I know UHG is driving for "being green", but they need paper plates in their break rooms. Also, they need to work on stocking office supplies. I can't find even the humble push-pin in their stock bin - all I see are folders and printing paper. :)

Their websites need a bit more work because it was a tad confusing for a new hire to navigate through, but once you get used to it it's OK.

None so far - just keep it up!

2344 Other Employee Reviews for UnitedHealth Group (View Most Recent)

Great company with cutting edge technology and wonderful growth potential.

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Work / Life balance
    Growth
    Environment
    People

Cons

Benefits
    Compensation
    Sr. Leadership
    Lack of Communication
    Hiring Practices

Listen to your employees.

Leadership not hiring the right talent!

Former Employee - Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Plymouth, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great company to work for. Many locations across the country. Diversity in the company.

Cons

Great company with some departments being run by clueless leaders. Senior management is not in touch with the reality of the work being done by line workers nor has the skill to direct/guide the workers. Your success depends on how much you are ready to forgo your individuality and agree to everything that your manager has to say. Health plan and benefits suck.
    Hiring and attrition are both high. Hiring is done with total disregard to what the person can bring to the table and contribute. It is rather based on who in management knows that person.

Put checks and balances on who are hired to do a job. Many management positions are filled by clueless people without proper education or experience. An organization of skilled employees cannot be run by clueless management. Don't use the "open door" policy when there isn't anything like an open door policy for discussing issues and concerns. Be engaged with line workers than trust your direct reports to fill you in on their favorite employees.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group