There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Overall very negative, sad, disappointing and glad to have left on my own.

Current Employee - Case Manager (RN) in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Case Manager (RN) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Pay. Good location from where I live. Easy parking.

Cons

No respect for employees unless you have a brown nose. Intelligent thought not welcome. Just sit down, shut up, meet your metrics (even if you cheat to do it). Big brother was always watching, even checking your drawers and paperbasket after you left for the night. Intrusive. Intimidating. No support from HR for issues. Health Benefits stink, very very expensive. Supervisors and low level management poorly prepared. Lack skills and knowledge. Many barely able to speak grammatically correct English (yes, they were born and raised in the US). Again, butt kissing gets one where they want, doing a great job unimportant for getting ahead. Politcally correct culture, insensible, not of consistency, humaneness and caring for employees or consumers. Poor Poor enviorment for learning. Repeatedly remined in staff meetings not to go above supervisors head or out of own team for answers to questions.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure you can be helped. You are constantly losing great, educated, hard working talent due to the lack of decent lower management. You are unassessable.

reviews filtered by

Be prepared to hit the ground running

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

You have to quickly learn how to navigate through the organization's processes, and not to rely solely on your manager to set you up when you get on board (e.g. log in access to certain accounts, etc). So far my on-boarding has been better compared to my previous employers, where sometimes it takes a couple weeks just to get your workstation set-up and you have to pretty much stare into space during your first week of work because you don't have a computer. In my experience with UHG, my hiring manager pretty much had my basic workstation ready for use right on my first day.

On-boarding process is pretty easy, as you simply get access to a new hire website and it outlines what you need to do within the 1st week, month, and 90 days from your start date. I am pretty particular with that because it's the first few days of work that you typically have to do piles of paperwork and it's easy to miss something, plus I am not a fan of spending time faxing stuff out to HR. Most of the HR stuff is done online.

As far as being a new hire, it has been great, but you really should be able to hit the ground running, as they pretty much throw you in the middle of a project with little or no information at all, and you have to be proactive with a lot of things to keep up. I'm lucky I got a grasp on things when I got pulled into a project. There's still management engagement, and they provide whatever support they can give you (no micromanagement).

Dress codes range from business attire (suit & tie) to somewhat lower (collar, sleeves, slacks). Since I wasn't oriented with that I typically just assess what other people are wearing in the building and decide which is too casual. Definitely not a shirt-and-jeans environment. This is just for their main building, I guess because the executives reside there. It seems that for the other buildings, it's pretty laid-back. They don't have dress code marshals running around, though, so as far as I know as long as you look presentable, you're not going to be in trouble.

The have a high variety of the age range of the employees, which I like. And they are willing to hang out. I have had jobs where it's pretty much go-to-work-and-go-home type, as most of my teammates just up and leave when it hits end of workday for the most part. Here they have times where you either go for a happy hour with the team someplace nearby, or have lunch in a conference room just to chat - even for just an hour. And that's even when they're extremely busy. I appreciate that in the workplace - it makes me feel like I'm part of the team even if I am a newbie. And that motivates me to go to work everyday. They are pretty good at considering your time at work - they don't just throw meeting schedules on your calendar over lunch hours without checking with you.

It's too early yet to determine how the promotion/performance ratings are being done, so I'll leave that out for the next update.

Cons

Cons are pretty superficial but I'm putting them here anyway...

Their buildings are pretty scattered - I came in a period where hundreds of constructions are going on in the area, so it is crazy trying to navigate between buildings when you have to (they do have an inter-office shuttle service, but still). Hopefully they'll start consolidating their departments into one building so it's easier. Plus, the main building's cafeteria is so much better.

It's not totally a Con, but it's pretty interesting that they don't really orient you firsthand on the dress-code policy, and other house-rules. I don't really care much for having these but I typically had to undergo some orientation about the dress-codes and stuff on my first day. The only orientation they have is more on the employee benefits, important company websites, information management/security policies, sexual harrassment, and insider trading.

I know UHG is driving for "being green", but they need paper plates in their break rooms. Also, they need to work on stocking office supplies. I can't find even the humble push-pin in their stock bin - all I see are folders and printing paper. :)

Their websites need a bit more work because it was a tad confusing for a new hire to navigate through, but once you get used to it it's OK.

Advice to Management

None so far - just keep it up!

Great company with cutting edge technology and wonderful growth potential.

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Work / Life balance
    Growth
    Environment
    People

Cons

Benefits
    Compensation
    Sr. Leadership
    Lack of Communication
    Hiring Practices

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group