2003 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

A large company has both its benefits and drawbacks.

Current Employee - Financial Consultant  in  Minnetonka, MN
Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

UnitedHealth Group is a large organization that offers a variety of opportunities. Within the company, each business unit has its own culture, so if the fit is not right in one area, there may still be opportunities elsewhere. The company is successful at identifying employees that are strong assets to the organization and developing and promoting those individuals. The PTO plan is on par with other organizations. The company touts "work-life balance", however application of this ideal is applied inconsistenly throughout the organization. After loads of negative press, Senior Leadership seems to have made a renewed focus on providing high-quality service and taking an active role in working with government to create affordable healthcare solutions for the future.

Cons

Because the company has been mired in negative press for the last couple of years, there is a cynicism embedded into the corporate culture. The large size of the organization makes it difficult to make quick decisions, so the direction of the company often seems more reactionary than proactive. Additionally, some leaders take a micro-managing approach that can make the lives of their employees miserable. The health benefits offerred by UnitedHealth Group are poor compared with other companies, and employees are likely to have to pay a high deductible in the spirit of "consumer driven healthcare", which is just another way of cutting costs for the employer.

Strategic decision-making often seems disjointed, with different groups acting on different ideas of where the company should go. The company should focus on aligning the vision across the enterprise and clearly communicate and enforce it.

Other Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Stable employment in this economy.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Rewarded for good performance. Company is working harder at promoting employee welfare. Volunteerism and social responsibility in the company is much improved. I believe that we are in a good position financially despite what the stock price is at the moment.

Cons

The health insurance benefits are terrible. Management avoids issues until it's too late. The company has spent so much time getting 'lean' and letting go of critical employees but failed to look at how we sell and implement and service our business. There have to be cost savings if we overhauled our systems and processes and finally stopped working in silos that don't care about other areas. Not as many mid level manager jobs anymore.

Give us some real medical benefits, please. Or raise my salary to pay all my out of pocket expenses.

A great company in which to start an actuarial career in California.

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people are laid back, the work is reasonable, and people generally seem happy. The training I was given was excellent, and everything else I needed I learned on the job. People in the firm were very friendly, and always willing to help each other out when there were questions or problems. Despite having multiple buildings spread over several blocks, there was a sense of collegiality and employees made efforts to go to lunch with coworkers in other offices.

Cons

The firm is very large so you may get lost in bureaucracy. Also, since the work you do is usually part of a much larger goal or objective, it is easy to lose sight of the larger picture.

I think having more transparency about where the company is going would be useful.

There are newer employer reviews for UnitedHealth Group.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!